2022 Open edX Conference: Talks Topics Brainstorm

First and foremost I am really excited about the talks and to see everyone at the conference. A lot of the ideas mentioned are amazing, Grove a project is something that we should talk about but what I feel is instead of an umbrella talk we can break down different components.

I feel people would be really interested to know the problems we faced and how did we work around a lot of them.

Some ideas that I have:

1. I feel the story behind how we discovered and improved caching is very interesting and can be a good story to tell.
  2. The problem we solved using site configuration customizations when we tried have a multi site set-up
  3. Terraform and Open Edx which we have as terraform script
  4. Retirement services also have a lot of unknowns with documentation not being up to date.
  5. Also the feature of restricting course creation with organization

Honestly, I cannot really thing about more topics as we dropped a ton of them here. I like the periodic report generation one as well as it may be needed for more clients too.

By the way, all topics are looking great!

I would go a step further here and propose Scaling and load testing Open edX, especially that locust scripts are no longer supported.

1 Like

@Agrendalath I thought maybe we could submit a proposal for a talk that recaps our BD projects with edX : a quick review of the projects, platform contributions that resulted from these projects, a review of the processes, lessons learned, and next projects/steps – or something like that. I thought maybe me/you/Marco (if he has time), or just me and you.

1 Like

I’ve just reached out to Marco on Slack.

Hello @team

With the fast approach deadline to submit talks, Feb-20, I’ve created tasks/subtasks for all core members to submit their proposals in the next sprint. Make sure to prioritize this as we’ll have a single sprint to write the proposal, get it reviewed, and submit.

Hi @paulo

I just wanted to check, @Ali and I aren’t core members, but you created tickets for us. I just want to make sure we still need to submit a proposal? And if we do, we’ve never done this before, so can you give us some pointers on what is expected? (ie. what do we include, does it need to be in a specific format, do you review before we submit etc) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@sarina Great! :D I’ve just submitted that talk, and included you as a co-speaker.

1 Like

I am really struggling to figure out what to talk about… Partially since I haven’t contributed many open sourced features in the last couple years, but also because my main focus is LabXchange now, which is entirely closed source.

But since LabXchange uses Blockstore and the Content Libraries API, maybe I could talk about Content Libraries, and the direction of BD-14? @saksham SE-1848 is your epic, so would you be willing to co-present with me?

CC @antoviaque in case you have some other ideas.

@jill sure I am up for it but I am struggling a bit with the epic to understand what all has been done and the future plans. I have a meeting with Jeremy tonight to gain more context. I can get back to you post that.

@jill Blockstore and the content libraries sound like good topics yes. Maybe also your work as a core contributor could provide other ideas? For example, maybe something around PR reviews – things like tips on how to get an upstream contribution reviewed and merged efficiently? Things that would help new contributors, or who have PRs stuck?

I guess the obvious topic for me would be “A look at the new discussions features in Open edX”.
I’ll write up about that.

Whether or not I’ll be able to attend the conference this year is still up in the air; but for now I’ll try to be optimistic :slight_smile: Going over the list of talk ideas above there’s a few that I’d be interested in collaborating on:

@Ali @giovannicimolin @Fox Would anyone of you like to join forces on one of these topics and work on a proposal together?

That would be great, @saksham ! We don’t have to go into heavy specifics on the talk proposal itself, but I figure something that discusses the past, present, and future for content libraries, so people get a chance to hear what’s coming.

I don’t think I could fill 45 min talking about PR reviews, but maybe a lightning talk? :slight_smile:

FYI – I created a Google Docs template for the conference talk submissions, which you’re welcome to use when you draft your proposals.

Drive: File > New > New from template > 2022 Conference proposal (template)

6 Likes

That would be great! I haven’t thought much about what to include yet, but I’ll be able to dedicate some time to it later this week (hopefully tomorrow). For now, I’ve duplicated the template (thanks @jill!) Feel free to start adding your thoughts here.

I’m sure we’ll be able to come up with something solid between the two of us :nerd_face:

Edit:
Although I see here that @Fox may have already snapped you up! That’s no problem - @cassie and I could always submit a talk together. It might be easier for she and I to liaise anyway. Let me know what you think.

1 Like

Thank you for the idea :). I love the idea I will write a proposal around it :slight_smile: let me know if you or anyone else wants to co-present :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to talk about Grove but I haven’t used it at all. So I would be happy to co-host with anybody. :slight_smile:

I haven’t worked on Open edX for a very long time so it is a bit difficult to translate no experience to a presentation. :sweat_smile:

@toxinu I am interested in talking about Grove as well. Would be happy to co-present with you :slight_smile:

I realised I don’t have a reviewer for my talk. The ticket is BB-5503. I have started writing up something, but I am on leave on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so the deadline will be before I resume work on Monday. Would love it if someone could have a look today/tomorrow.

1 Like