2022 Open edX Conference: Talks Topics Brainstorm

@demid in light of your situation, the conference committee has now just decided to switch your session with @Fox’s proposal.

4 Likes

@Ali

That’s cool! :tada: :handshake:

No, I did not.

I’m planning on going, but may withdraw based on how the COVID situation develops.

@Ali @antoviaque @paulo I’m confused :slight_smile: Is there still a way for @Ali to potentially come to the conference, then? :crossed_fingers:

@tikr @antoviaque @paulo
Arg, I looked into the option of entering through another EU country, but that would mean I would have to spend more time in that country than in Portugal. Basically, it would become a logistical nightmare. So I’m sad to say it, but I will have to miss the conference this year. :confused:

I’m starting to see why people call the South African passport a “green mamba” - not only is the cover green, but no one wants one anywhere near them!

Tim, I’m not sure what to do about our talk. The cut-off date for talk confirmations is tomorrow (Fri, 10 March). Considering that your attendance is uncertain, shall I rather turn down the offer? We could always submit the same topic for next year’s conference. Alternatively, I will email Eden from Open edX to confirm that you will present the talk. Let me know what works for you.

1 Like

@Ali It’s too bad! Well, thanks for really trying - the visa rules are however quite absurd at times… Next year then!

It would be good if the talk still happened though, as far as talk acceptance, if we cancel when there is a risk, we won’t do many talks… I’d rather schedule and accept as if there won’t be a blocker, to be ready if it does, and figure out cancellations when something preventing it actually does happen.

@antoviaque “Absurd” is right!

Ok, that makes sense. I need to provide a speaker’s name when I confirm the talk though, so will wait to hear from Tim first.

1 Like

@Ali Really sorry to hear that it’s not working out for you this time!

OK, let’s go ahead and confirm the talk then :white_check_mark:

@Ali It seems like that’s something you’d need to take care of (since you submitted the talk) but let me know if there is anything that I can/should help with.

Also, it would be cool if we could still work on the talk prep together like you mentioned earlier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @tikr. We’ll just have to meet next year :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve confirmed with Eden from Open edX that you will be presenting the talk and have asked her to send you a confirmation link. Please email her if you don’t receive it (ehuthmacher@tcril.org).

Cool! I have already created a ticket for the talk prep. I made myself the assignee, but perhaps it makes more sense for it to be you. Please adjust the ticket as you see fit. I should be able to start working on the talk preparation next week, but let me know if you get started before I do.

Looking forward to working on this with you! :muscle:

3 Likes

Hey @team,

My talk got accepted, though they would be interested if we could make it a “tutorial” — I guess that means a workshop but I’m not sure. I never participated on any edX conf.

The only problem is my “maybe” attendance, that has many influencers (and the fact that Hungary got some NATO forces on the eastern border not make things easier to figure out).

Since I have to confirm until EOD Friday, is there anyone who would be interested to take over my topic: Generating reports periodically ?

I can prepare the content and every metawork but I’m not sure how the next week will turn out, not even the next few months :confused:

1 Like

@gabor Congratz for the accepted talk! For the tutorial, yes it would be a workshop – note that this is usually a bit longer as a format, and more interactive with the participants.

For the attendance, it could maybe be something you prepare with someone else? This way it covers both cases: if you are able to attend you co-present, and if not the other presenter can fill for you and/or you can attend remotely?

I’’do love to do that as suggested, though so found no one else yet who could cover me.

Since the “deadline” is tomorrow, should I confirm attendance and add a remark about the chance of other assignee or doing that without coverage would be too risky from company image point of view? @antoviaque

@gabor congrats! I’ve been coaching my team through tutorial prep and want to share my advice:

1. Have at least one, ideally 2 co-presenters. 90 minutes is a long time, and it’s easy to forget everything you want to say. Having someone else to interject what you forgot, and take over talking, is key.
  2. Prepare interactive components and test them well (ideally on people who aren’t familiar with the material). Interleave activities with lecture, and be sure to include some breaks.
  3. Internet may be flaky, so having everyone download large files/clone repos may not work the way you want. Consider preparing flash drives (with appropriate dongles) for people to make use of.
  4. Consider asking a few people to be “TAs”. These people would go around and help people during interactive building times, and possibly help whisper clarifications during the presentation to someone who’s late or otherwise needs catching up.

For our tutorial I think we’re doing 3 lecturers and 2 TAs (I am a TA - I am also serving as a tutorial guinea pig).

Good luck!!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks @Ali! I wrote to Eden (with you in CC) because I can’t seem to find a message with a confirmation link in my inbox.

This sprint is quite busy for me so there’s a good chance I won’t get around to working on the talk before Sprint 269 (starting Tue Mar 22nd).

Unless there’s a deadline for submitting talk slides, that’s probably not an issue, though? :slight_smile:

I don’t think I’ll be able to attend either – Portugal isn’t letting in Australians either! :cry:

But logistics from my end are simpler – my talk with @saksham hasn’t been accepted, and so the only thing to rearrange is accommodation. Will comment on the spreadsheet about this.

@gabor I’m not sure if you have confirmed in the meantime, but it would have been useful to find at least one person to work on this with you before confirming, but I don’t think it’s strictly necessary in this case. Given the context, I think we all know there can be some adjustments Just make sure to find someone quickly in the coming days, as you need to start working on the content anyway - and this way if nobody ended up wanting or being able to do this talk, you warn of it early?

@jill Are you sure they won’t allow you before the conference happens? It’s still a month away, and often things change by the week.

2 Likes

@tikr

Thank you. Hopefully my most recent email to Eden has sorted out the confusion…

Ok cool. I’ll let you know if I get a chance to start earlier, however it’s likely that I will only get to it next sprint too.

There’s no deadline that I know of. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was on the same page, so instead of confirming, I reached out to Eden to get some extension in terms of the confirmation deadline until the 15th (tomorrow) EOD (which he “approved”). I already pinged everyone on MatterMost (conf channel) and here, but so far nobody volunteered.

1 Like

Wow! Looks like I have a lot to prepare for on my tutorial as well.

Would anyone (or more than one!) from the @team like to be a co-presentor on my MFE workshop?

Sure, I’ll keep checking and keep that time open. Flights are going to get pricier the closer to date, but if you’re ok with that, then it’s fine with me :slight_smile:

My main concern is getting health insurance coverage for COVID stuff. I have to purchase 21 days prior to leaving to be covered for infections that happen prior to boarding. But even if I buy later, I think I’m covered for anything contracted while I’m away, so it’d be ok if I have to delay my return flight or get additional accommodation.

3 Likes

Hey Gabor, it would be best if someone with context on the topic could take it. I could help by co-presenting during the conference but I’m not sure I’ll have enough time before to prepare for leading it.

Would anyone here like to co-present with me?
The topic is Deep dive into LTI 1.3 in the Open edX platform.

I know this is a bit too late, sorry.