2023 Open edX Conference: Talk Topics Brainstorm

@gabriel Nope, none of mine were accepted! Though I’m going either way, just for BizDev purposes. I’ll just have to spend more time chatting people up and less time on stage. :slight_smile:

Yep, mine got accepted :smile: Navigate your Data Lake with OARS

2 Likes

@gabriel My talk was not accepted.

So, it looks like we have 4 talks that got accepted, but including one lightning talk. This means we’d only send @antoviaque, @braden, @Fox, and @jill to the conference. Btw if this is the case, IMHO we should pay for some of Jill’s travel expenses since we have budget available for it.

1 Like

If we have the budget it would be great to send @Agrendalath since he did get a lightning talk accepted, and we could do an in person meeting with HMX while we’re there.

1 Like

@braden, the confirmation deadline was on the last Friday, so I believe that my lightning talk is no longer considered :confused:

@Agrendalath It’s worth reaching out to @sarina and @feanil to find out?

Sorry! We do not have any remaining slots; after the Friday deadline for confirmations, we needed to go on to our waitlisted talks.

Sorry about that @Agrendalath - in hindsight I should have agreed to have you come at the conference for the lightening talk, since there was budget left for it. :confused:

The good counterpart to this is that it allows to cover your participation to the conference @jill - I agree that it makes a lot of sense. :+1:

@antoviaque @gabriel I’m fine either way – but I’d rather @Agrendalath come to the conference. It would be really valuable for him to be present as the edX/2U client owner and one of our most active core contributors. Even without the lightning talk, he could run a BoF session, present at a working group meeting, volunteer to help with conference admin, or co-present with someone else?

3 Likes

@jill That would work for me too, if @Agrendalath can find a different opportunity to present. :+1:

Btw watching the product working group meeting today, I’ve noticed there is also going to be a product round table, with product managers from the community. (See the table at the bottom of https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/COMM/pages/3672375297/2023-02-14+-+Product+Working+Group+Notes+and+Agenda ). @braden you’re already being volunteered there by Jenna for presenting one feature. If it makes sense to suggest two different people to join (2U has two), maybe that could be an opportunity for getting you to still come to the conference too @Ali ? Not sure if that would still work with visa processes, but I thought I would ask!

1 Like

@antoviaque I’d love to attend the product roundtable if budget allows! My US visa was approved a month or so ago.

The only complication is how this might affect my Colombian visa application (my submission is still being evaluated). I had to buy flight tickets in order to apply for the visa, so I’m not sure how changing the departure country from South Africa to the US would affect my application. Changing my flight would also add some additional costs.

If we decide that it would be valuable for me to attend the conference, and my presence is worth the extra costs, I can do the related visa/flight change research. Let me know what you think. CC @gabriel for his insight on the available budget.

I’m not currently part of any working group, but I’d love to help with co-presenting. I’ve never been to a BoF session, though I suppose that a topic about theme migrations could also be a good thing to propose there? What would be the best place to reach out about this?

2 Likes

@Ali we should have sufficient budget to cover the change :slight_smile: unless we’re talking thousands of dollars?

1 Like

Thanks @gabriel. It looks like it would cost a few hundred (between $100-200 I think) to change my flight (plus the difference in cost between the two flights).

I’ll make the change if @braden and @antoviaque think it makes sense for me to be there. I do think it would be valuable for me to attend the PWG Roundtable, but since I won’t be presenting anything, it might not be worth the additional budget…? Let me know what you think.

1 Like

@Ali Sounds all good on my side - I’m looking forward to seeing you at the conference :smile: :+1:

@Agrendalath I’m not sure the BoF sessions have been announced or organized yet, but probably @sarina would know :) Feel free to organize coming to the conference in any case though, so you aren’t caughed up by time at the last minute.

3 Likes

The BoF sessions will be suggested once the conference starts up, so anyone can suggest topics once they get to the conference. We wanted to leave room for topics that might come up as a result of attending the various talks but other general topics that lots of people might be interested in are also welcome!

2 Likes

Thanks @antoviaque. Looking forward to seeing you there too!

P.s. It looks like you, Missy, and I are going to be housemates. :smiley: :potted_plant:

1 Like

@Ali @braden @jill @Agrendalath @Fox you all have conf tickets under your name, now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@gabriel I didn’t get a notification for a ticket under me, or if I did, I lost track of it. Could you link me?