2024 Open edX Conference: Talk Topics Brainstorm

@antoviaque Thanks for the tips. Out of 4 ideas initially, I decided to cut it down to two and restructure them. Please let me know what you think about these ? Based on which one looks better, I can just submit a single idea or submit both for now to see which one gets selected.

@dave Thanks for the awesome suggestion and pointing me to Regis’ talk. I did have something similar in mind as to how I would structure the talk, but wasn’t aware that it’s been done before. A follow-up to Regis’ talk to explore what has changed since, is a great idea.

• Peeling the layers of Open edX - Exploring the maze that is XBlock Runtime and how its being simplified

• The talk follows the code from the shiny new MFEs all the way down to the guts of the XBlock runtime.
    • Explores the major classes and inter-dependencies along the way.
    • And finally takes a look at some of the recent efforts to simplify the XBlock runtime and what has changed in the last 8 years since the Source Code Review by Regis in 2016.
  • Why can’t I just delete a user ? Demystifying User Retirement in Open edX

• What is user retirement and why do we need it ?
    • How exactly does the retirement service work - Exploring the user retirement flow
    • User retirement sounds great, but how do I set it up in my Open edX instance ?
    • Bonus: How to make user retirement less permanent ?
1 Like

Hi @braden! Do you mind if I get this topic for my talk, or are you planning to do it?

I was not sure whether to directly submit the talk or add the proposal draft as mentioned in the ticket. So adding the draft (created with help of chatgpt to add some content) here first.

• Session title: Multi-tenancy vs Separate Instances - Choosing the Best Approach for Open edX

• Description:
    Open edX, the powerful open-source online learning platform, offers educators and institutions the flexibility to deliver courses at scale. However, the choice between multi-tenancy and separate instances is a critical decision that can significantly impact the efficiency and scalability of your Open edX deployment. In this talk, we will delve into the nuances of these approaches, exploring the pros and cons, guiding principles for decision-making, and practical insights into implementing and managing multi-tenancy.

Key Points:

1. Pros and Cons of Multi-tenancy in Open edX:
      • Explore the benefits of resource optimization and cost-effectiveness through shared infrastructure.
      • Discuss the potential drawbacks, such as security considerations and customization limitations.
    2. When to Choose Multi-tenancy Setup:
      • Identify scenarios where multi-tenancy is the optimal choice for your organization or educational institution.
      • Understand the criteria for evaluating the suitability of multi-tenancy based on scale and resource requirements.
    3. How to Run Multiple Sites in Open edX:
      • Provide a step-by-step guide on setting up and configuring multi-tenancy in Open edX.
      • Discuss technical considerations and best practices to ensure a smooth and scalable implementation.
    4. Customize Each Tenant with Their Own Themes and Courses:
      • Showcase the flexibility of multi-tenancy by demonstrating how to customize the look and feel of each tenant.
      • Discuss strategies for tailoring course offerings and content for diverse user groups.
    5. Manage All Tenants from One Place:
      • Highlight the advantages of centralized management, including simplified administration and monitoring using grove.
      • Demonstrate tools and techniques for efficiently managing multiple tenants within a single Open edX instance.
  • Session Type: Talk(45 mins)

• Track: Developing and Operating

• Proposal:
    Choosing between multi-tenancy and separate instances is a pivotal decision for Open edX users. This talk aims to empower the audience with the knowledge and tools necessary to make informed choices, ultimately contributing to more effective and scalable online learning environments.
    Key takeaways:

• A comprehensive understanding of the advantages and challenges of multi-tenancy in Open edX.
    • Clear guidelines for deciding whether to opt for a multi-tenancy setup or separate instances.
    • Practical insights into implementing and managing multi-tenancy, including customization and centralized administration.
  • Who is your target audience: Educators, e-learning administrators, and Open edX enthusiasts interested in maximizing the efficiency and scalability of their online learning platforms.

• Co-speakers: @kaustav or @maxim or anyone else if interested.

1 Like

@navin Thanks for asking. I would definitely be interested in co-presenting depending on if and which of my submissions gets accepted.

1 Like

@navin Thank you. Same as @kaustav.

1 Like

Bit late - I was exploring many how-to style talks, but want to propose this one - the current state of using Tutor as devstack replacement.

I’d like to introduce with the current openedx development experience using devstack, its proposed deprecation, a guide on how to use tutor to develop for openedx instead of devstack (a lot of helpful information in this thread), and then compare and demonstrate working on multiple projects at once on devstack/tutor.

1 Like

My proposal:

Flexible credentials in Open edX
This talk will introduce an alternative to the default certificates mechanism by using a dynamic plugin, empowering instructors with the ability to create personalized certificate types and establish multiple tiers based on learner performance. We will delve into the pluggable architecture, enabling instructors to define unique certification criteria to tailor certificates to their specific needs, including alternative completion-based certificates and customizable grading criteria (like independent score checks for final exams).
The project, currently in an early phase, will gain traction in the upcoming months, offering a practical solution for customizable certification.

I’d be happy to co-present this if you’d like.

2 Likes

@rpenido Note that this is a lightning talk proposal, which might be a bit light in volume for a proper full length talk. Note that we are submitting the latter :slight_smile:

@sid There is likely material for a proper full length talk in here, but currently it has a large part of its description being very much a howto / workshop. So I think it can work, but it would be good to rework a bit the content & description.

Load testing and scaling up to 10k learners with Grove

1. Introduction to Grove
  2. Load testing and estimating traffic
  3. Setting up auto-scaling in Grove
  4. Preparing for go-live with manual pre-scale
  5. Monitoring and fine-tuning autoscaling
  6. Lessons learned

What do you think?

1 Like

I’m finding it difficult, at the level of familiarity with Open edX I have now, to propose something concrete in that direction about XBlocks. I could think of proposing an exploration of common or commonly desired features in learning platforms where XBlocks serve the use case well but I’m not confident enough that I could make it into an interesting talk.

@antoviaque I would be interested in participating in either of the open source related ones.

I also really liked @tecoholic’s proposal about edX Enterprise and would be interested in helping with it as well.

@paulo Sounds good to me! I would put the accent on talking about the experience of doing it (giving examples, numbers, stats, etc.) to avoid making it look like a simple HOWTO, and more about sharing the experience.

@artur Noted for your proposal to participate in the talks - I have only submitted the talks about the Open Source Masterclass and the TOC, would you like to submit the 3rd one, about learning from other open source projects? Happy to review the proposal.

You can also participate to someone else’s talk, but you’ll still need to submit one yourself. If you really can’t come up with a new one, try to pick some of the other approved ones, checking with their author that they haven’t already submitted it.

1 Like

@antoviaque Thanks for the +1 for the enterprise talk. I have submitted my proposal for early feedback. Kindly review if you have the time.

@Cef, I have added you as the co-speaker while submitting the proposal. Kindly decline the invite if you intend to submit one independently.

@artur Kindly let me know if I should include you as the co-speaker.

2 Likes

That’s the idea :+1:

1 Like

Here the talk I’d like to submit:

Title: Runtime theming: Or how we cut deployment time by 10 times for a massivley-multi-tenant instance

Description: By adopting the work in progress runtime theming capabilities of Paragon we cut down a potential 25hr deployment time for 50 micro-sites down to under 3hrs.

Proposal:

In this talk we’ll explore the benefits of runtime theming beyond just the ability to change themes at runtime.

When faced with a multi-tenant setup with a large number of tenants each with a separate theme, we faced a number of scaling challenges, of which a key was theming and MFEs.

To bring build times down to a reasonable number, we eventually adopted runtime theming while still in alpha.

This will share our journey and lessons along the way.

3 Likes

That would be awesome. I have invited you as the co-presenter in the submission.

1 Like

I would like to submit the 3rd one then. I have drafted the proposal at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uH8gly_7tBgOYef1mh37bC0iw4ZKOCz3mPg7DlyXIbA/edit. Could you please review it?

1 Like

Please do, thank you!

Forgot to ask, is anyone interested in co-presenting?

Sorry I’m really late on this. I see lot of good topics so I can’t think of much else. But here are a couple of my options:

I’d like to volunteer for this one if there are multiple talks on this.

I can take this one if no one has submitted a proposal already - can include the need behind the plugin (importing old courses stuff).

This one would probably be covered by someone in the translation working group, but one question that keeps popping up on the openedx forum, is how do we add new translated strings into the platform. There is some documentation around this, but it might be good to give a detailed workflow and also include the technical aspects of how a translated string gets applied in the platform.

2 Likes

Hi team, John Schwartz shared an interesting idea with @antoviaque @Fox and @gabriel for a panel discussion that would highlight best practices that OpenCraft employs that result in client retention. The topic would be Client Strategy and Retention and would involve client owners and their clients discussing approaches that have contributed to the success of their Open edX. Of course, the session would depend on finding the success stories as well as their respective client owners and clients who would attend the conference, The target audience would be potential new prospects and clients but also other Open edX partners and prospective partners who would learn about best practices. What do you think? To not go long I’ve written a rough proposal attached Client Strategy and Retention Open edX 2024.

2 Likes