Listaflow Planning

Listaflow Planning Meeting Video

This planning meeting we only went over a handful of things:

• The homepage design for Listaflow is now under review
  • The rest of the website is top priority, so we can get the project out there
  • After the website, the next dev priority will be connecting Mattermost with a Matrix chat for Listaflow to allow for better community involvement
  • The next UX priotity after the site is the UI/UX work for viewing other team members’ checklists
  • …And then for the template listing page.
  • There’s a prototype of the sharing user’s checklist feature which was supposed to be deployed and working, but for some reason doesn’t seem to work in production. Need to investigate why.
  • There is currently a trial project underway which, if successful, will enable reordering of task definitions
  • The vacation checklist has been ported to Listaflow, but the issue with sharing checklists holds us up from using it just yet. Also there were roles in the Process Street checklist which weren’t covered, such as CTO and CEO, but which the handbook mentions, and those tasks should (preferably) be ported as well, though the description of them in the handbook for some of them is a little confusing when placed against current processes.
  • Our next major feature after these items is to improve chasing of responses in order to improve completion rates.
3 Likes

@Fox A non-urgent question about Listaflow, for the next time you have a look at the project – how can I list, for the OpenCraft sprint checklists, who has completed them vs not? I see a super low overall response rate on the report summary page at Listaflow but something tells me it’s probably wrong? But then the comparison page shows the answers (or lack thereof for each question), but not the completion?

This isn’t currently available-- we launched without it and haven’t gone back to add it. However, if I recall, there was a design which was made for showing this originally. @Ali do you happen to know where that old design is? While it might need some refreshing, we’ve got some hours left over in the Listaflow budget for a dev to put this in sooner rather than later when @cassie 's full refresh including the response chasing is added.

Edit: For clarity, that data does exist, of course, but you’d have to make a manual query to do it. There’s no interface for it.

@antoviaque @Fox I really had to cast my mind back for this one! It’s quite fun to compare where we were…

… to where we are now!

Below is the most recent UI we had for listing respondents, but I don’t think it’s very user-friendly. I think we could do something using existing components that’s easier to read.

@antoviaque To make sure I’m fully understanding the requirement: is what you’re looking for simply a list of who has and hasn’t responded?

FYI @cassie

Also, should we add the new Product Sub-Working Groups to this list? I instinctively looked for an option for the “UX/UI Working Group”.

I thought I’d gotten them all, but your question makes me realize I must not have. Actually-- the UX/UI working group may have come into being after my last refresh, which I think was a month ago? It can definitely be added. Do you know of any others that are missing?

Actually, I think they might all be missing :laughing:. Here’s a spreadsheet listing the subgroups (product subgroups are a very new development, so it’s no wonder it was missed).

A couple of these were there already! I’m pretty sure the ‘Residential Working Group’ is the ‘Campus Working Group’ considering that’s what I and most of the folks I know in the group have been calling it :) And the ‘Data Working Group’ is almost certainly the Data/Analytics working group. The others do seem to be missing, so I’ve added them.

1 Like

@Fox @Ali Thank you for looking into it. Imho the completion rate keeps proving being one of the main challenges & success metrics, so it is worth prioritizing work related to it - maybe worth a dedicated epic?

Ultimately, my goal is to get the response rate to 100%, or as close as it can be. The rest is just means to get there :) So yes, one of those ways is to be able to tell who didn’t complete the checklist - to try to understand why, to chase people who didn’t, etc. But it’s all in the pursuit of that more general goal.

1 Like

I don’t think a dedicated epic would accelerate this effort. It’s definitely on the forefront of my mind in terms of features-- but at present we have the good fortune of having Ali and Cassie filled with client work and so the design of the chasing features has been put on the backburner.

Even with these features on the backburner, we had a goal we were closing in on and hoping to reach first-- getting the site launched and the community opened up more through the Matrix<->Mattermost bridge. We could deprioritize this, but we’re not that far off from it, and since Ali and Cassie are booked, it’s kind of a moot point anyhow.

What we can do right now is implement the design we do have for at least displaying who hasn’t completed the checklist so we can do some more manual chasing in the meantime. So I’ve scheduled a ticket to do so in the coming sprint.

Here’s an update for everyone:

• Ali and Cassie are both full up on CC and client billable hours, so we’ve not had much UI/UX time left over for Listaflow. This is a good problem to have overall, though less exciting for Listaflow itself.
  • Thankfully that doesn’t mean work is at a standstill-- we do still have a few bugfixes and improvements we’re working on, including:
    • Changes to the reports to better indicate who did not respond
    • Changes to the reminder email’s task listings
    • A bridge link between Mattermost and Matrix so that we can invite community members to chat with us without having to pay exorbitant licensing fees.

The homepage for Listaflow on WordPress is almost done, barring some fixes for displaying the menu on mobile. The homepage was the heft of the website work, since just getting the first page in also meant implementing the nav, design elements, etc, so once that’s done it will mean other parts of the website will go much faster.

1 Like

@antoviaque Production’s been updated to show the responders and non-responders in the overview report, rather than just the assignees.

I didn’t end up implementing the full design since the existing design diverges a good bit from how we laid things out and I hadn’t expected to add the ‘Send reminder’ functionality just yet. All I really needed to do for now is add another column to the existing report and we were good to go-- the backend was already giving the info on who responded and who didn’t. cc @cassie @Ali

3 Likes

@Fox Thank you! That will do for now yes. :+1: It will still be useful to dig deeper into that topic, but that can wait until there is more product & design time available.

2 Likes

@Fox I think this works for now! Nicely done :slight_smile:

@Fox Good idea about the additional column. Nice and simple :slight_smile:

On another note, when I was going through the vacation checklist today, I noticed something that felt peculiar. In the second task of the checklist, you are asked to “select the type of time off you’ll be taking”. Although there are only 3 options (full, reduced, and scoped time off), the user is given the option to tick a “select all” checkbox. This feels unnecessary for such a short list of answers, especially since I imagine the “select all” use case wouldn’t be very common.

Is the checkbox something that could easily be removed?

CC @cassie

1 Like

Another thing I forgot to mention - perhaps it would be a nice touch to add a link to the forum in the “announce your vacation on the forum” item. Do you agree?

1 Like

Yes, I do. In fact, if the maximum number is set to ‘null’ you can select all of the options and the checkbox appears. If you set it to 1 or 2, it does not appear. So I figured setting it to three might make them all selectable, but not render the checkbox.

Nope! It renders it in that case. I think that’s a relatively easy fix, though.

Edit: Just saw your comment about linking the forum thread. Linking seems to work just fine in the description, but not in the task name. It might need to stay that way, too, since clicking on the task name currently checks the checkbox and we probably want to preserve that feature. But I could see an argument, for the case of a name being entirely linked, of only allowing the checkbox for checking it off in that case, since it would still be available.

In any case, it’s now linked in the task description. :) Though I have also discovered an issue with the rendering of bulleted lists there, which we’ll need to look into.

Sorry, I should’ve clarified - I was talking about adding the link to the task description, not in the task name. Thanks for adding that!

EDIT:
Perhaps only the words “vacation thread on the forum” should be linked. The link text is very long at the moment.

1 Like

Link adjusted!

1 Like

Just a brief check-in today. Cassie has been focused on Modular Learning, so hasn’t been working on the Listaflow website as much over the last sprint. However this may change soon, as she’s going to be assessing her availability to complete the site after this next checkin on Modular Learning.

Meanwhile, on the dev side, the Mattermost bridge has been completed, and is expected to be deployed today, which will make directing interested open source developers and community members to chat with us much easier. We have banked some hours over the last few months, which could allow us to take on a major features soon (such as better chasing capability), pending design. In the meantime it’s probably worth knocking out a few smaller items that have come up, so we’ll be scheduling some bugfixes and quality of life improvements.

1 Like