2022 Open edX Conference: Talks Topics Brainstorm

@sarina Great! :D I’ve just submitted that talk, and included you as a co-speaker.

1 Like

I am really struggling to figure out what to talk about… Partially since I haven’t contributed many open sourced features in the last couple years, but also because my main focus is LabXchange now, which is entirely closed source.

But since LabXchange uses Blockstore and the Content Libraries API, maybe I could talk about Content Libraries, and the direction of BD-14? @saksham SE-1848 is your epic, so would you be willing to co-present with me?

CC @antoviaque in case you have some other ideas.

@jill sure I am up for it but I am struggling a bit with the epic to understand what all has been done and the future plans. I have a meeting with Jeremy tonight to gain more context. I can get back to you post that.

@jill Blockstore and the content libraries sound like good topics yes. Maybe also your work as a core contributor could provide other ideas? For example, maybe something around PR reviews – things like tips on how to get an upstream contribution reviewed and merged efficiently? Things that would help new contributors, or who have PRs stuck?

I guess the obvious topic for me would be “A look at the new discussions features in Open edX”.
I’ll write up about that.

Whether or not I’ll be able to attend the conference this year is still up in the air; but for now I’ll try to be optimistic :slight_smile: Going over the list of talk ideas above there’s a few that I’d be interested in collaborating on:

@Ali @giovannicimolin @Fox Would anyone of you like to join forces on one of these topics and work on a proposal together?

That would be great, @saksham ! We don’t have to go into heavy specifics on the talk proposal itself, but I figure something that discusses the past, present, and future for content libraries, so people get a chance to hear what’s coming.

I don’t think I could fill 45 min talking about PR reviews, but maybe a lightning talk? :slight_smile:

FYI – I created a Google Docs template for the conference talk submissions, which you’re welcome to use when you draft your proposals.

Drive: File > New > New from template > 2022 Conference proposal (template)

6 Likes

That would be great! I haven’t thought much about what to include yet, but I’ll be able to dedicate some time to it later this week (hopefully tomorrow). For now, I’ve duplicated the template (thanks @jill!) Feel free to start adding your thoughts here.

I’m sure we’ll be able to come up with something solid between the two of us :nerd_face:

Edit:
Although I see here that @Fox may have already snapped you up! That’s no problem - @cassie and I could always submit a talk together. It might be easier for she and I to liaise anyway. Let me know what you think.

1 Like

Thank you for the idea :). I love the idea I will write a proposal around it :slight_smile: let me know if you or anyone else wants to co-present :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would like to talk about Grove but I haven’t used it at all. So I would be happy to co-host with anybody. :slight_smile:

I haven’t worked on Open edX for a very long time so it is a bit difficult to translate no experience to a presentation. :sweat_smile:

@toxinu I am interested in talking about Grove as well. Would be happy to co-present with you :slight_smile:

I realised I don’t have a reviewer for my talk. The ticket is BB-5503. I have started writing up something, but I am on leave on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, so the deadline will be before I resume work on Monday. Would love it if someone could have a look today/tomorrow.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this :)

I haven’t yet! I was just making a note about considering it. On reflection, I don’t think I want to do the collaboration because I don’t think I want to actually present on that topic. I just found the topic interesting, but the degree of research I’d need to do in order to feel confident in presenting it feels a bit daunting to me with my other responsibilities.

The ‘anatomy of an MFE’ topic is one I already know-- I just have to turn it into a presentation.

1 Like

Sounds good @Fox :+1:

@Ali Thanks for getting us started with a copy of the template! I didn’t get a chance to have a closer look today, but it’s on my list for tomorrow (Tue). Looking forward! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m in, I just don’t have context in the specific one that you highlighted. :slight_smile:
Let me know if you’d like me to co-present and ping me on the proposal.

1 Like

Hey Cassie, everyone attending the conference has to submit a talk proposal, and yeah, both core members and contractors will be attending the coworking week and conference.

We usually get reviewers when writing the accepted talks, but I didn’t include a reviewer for the proposal. There’s really no standard format for the proposal, as it’s a simple text for on 2022 Open edX Conference: Call for Speakers @ Sessionize.com

I will review :smiley:

@paulo Thanks so much for sharing that link! @jill’s template has also been a big help :slight_smile:

2 Likes