Coworking week 2023 in Bogota

@jill I’m interested, but if it’s April 2 I don’t think I can since I arrive in the afternoon

I’m in. I really like to go for hikes :raised_hands:

3 Likes

My partner is going to be coming on the trip, and I see a few other people are bringing their significant others too, which is great. They might also be interested in organizing some sightseeing or activities to do during the days we’re busy coworking together?

3 Likes

Hi Guys, this is Angie from Edunext! I’m really excited that you’re coming to our country. I’ve started preparing a document full of useful information so you can have an amazing experience during your stay here. If you have any particular questions about your stay or would like to share details of your plans, please let me know so I can help guide you better. This is the link of the doc ,please free to add comments or tag me in case you have doubts :smiley: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-y-0w4I2v3FYo0aB5EucFqpMenaejN8mryR-21Cbpno/edit#

6 Likes

Thank you preparing these details @angieruhu ! I’m excited to see your beautiful city, and to meet everyone at Edunext! Will be so much fun.

I’ve requested access to your document, but here’s some questions for you:

• How will the Easter holiday affect our stay? For instance:
    Are there any days where restaurants will be closed?
    Will there be any city celebrations we can join in?
  • Some of us would like to visit Termales Los Volcanes at Chocontá / Machetá on Sun 2 April.
    But I’m having trouble finding transport – tuvan.co haven’t replied to my emails. Do you have any ideas?
2 Likes

@jill @DouglasDraper My partner and I have both received our visas so please count us in for any activities! :colombia:

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Juan José from EduNext team! It’s a pleasure to meet everyone, I’ll be helping you during your visit to our country. In order to set up the transportation logistic, I need to know the arrival dates, if there’ll be different flights or dates.

Also want to know, how many of you guys, are planning to visit the Termales at Choconta, as there is a full plan including guidance+alimentation+transportation and is very important for us to define the group.

If there is anything you need, just let me know. This is my mail: juan.garcia@edunext.co and my phone: +573229466419

Best regards!!

6 Likes

Nice to meet you, Juan! Thank you for organizing this. Maybe the best thing to do would be to create a form with the info you’ll need to pass along and those of us who are interested can fill it in for you?

Hi, completely agree with you. I’ll be sending the form so you guys can fill it and define dates for logistic purposes.

Have a great day!

3 Likes

Good afternoon everyone, hope everyone is doing ok. As discussed last week, from Edunext team we encourage you to help us filling this form, in order to collect the information we need for logistic purposes. We need this information as soon as possible in order to coordinate transportation and events.

OpenCraft / Edunext Colombia Visit 2023

Best regards!

Hi @jjgarciamartinez ! I’m getting a permission denied error when I try to view the form. Could you check the sharing settings?

Hi, it is weird, I just checked and it should be working just fine.

I’m sending the link again: https://forms.gle/44SSqKKFwZmGd9Cd9

Let me know if it works.

1 Like

It’s working for me :100: . Thanks @jjgarciamartinez!

Thanks for putting this together @jjgarciamartinez :sunglasses: very cool!

1 Like

@jjgarciamartinez note that for everyday transportation, we rely heavily on Uber (we have a business accounts that team members can use) – so I’d expect we’d use Uber for getting from / to the airport, and for everyday transit when needed. I figure, however, that other types of transport will be preferred for activities, especially outside town. Do let us know if you have other suggestions, and thanks again for your help.

Hi Gabriel, as a suggestion transportation from airport is a little bit complicated. For groups like this, I suggest It’ll be better if we schedule transportation with a company. That’s why we want to know if you are planning to arrive on a same date.

In terms of transportation inside Bogota, Uber works fine. Popular places to visit, don’t even need specific directions to get there.

For outside town we can also schedule transportation with a company, for example for Choconta Termales.

1 Like

Thank you for your help here @jjgarciamartinez , and for putting that form together!

Since we’re all coming from different places, I think we’re all arriving at different times. As @gabriel mentioned, we usually Uber or taxi from airports… is that difficult to do in Bogota?

Sorry for not mentioning it explicitly @jjgarciamartinez – like Jill said, we will all arrive from different countries and at different times (only 6 of us will be coming from the conference in Boston), so I figure Uber is our best bet if they serve the airport. Thanks again for your help!

Hi all,

Here are a couple reminders for preparing your attendance to the coworking week in Bogotá:

• It’s important that we’re able to reach out to you on Mattermost during this period (please install the Mattermost mobile app, with notifications turned on) – we use it for coordinating around meals, activities, etc. We’ll be using the channel #2023-Conf-Coworking for this.

• OpenCraft will cover the cost of a data package for your mobile phone. The best option for mobile data is either an e-SIM app like Truphone or Ubigi (also, let us know if there’s better alternatives). If your phone doesn’t support e-SIM technology, you can buy a local SIM card and a data package (your phone needs to be unlocked for this). Buy a few gigs of data for your week, and we’ll reimburse you. The time spent organizing this can be logged on your conference prep tickets, if you have leftover budget. Note: activating your e-SIM data package requires data/wifi, so do it before you leave or at the airport when you land.

• OpenCraft will provide up to €100 to be spent on local transportation during the coworking week. Use the OpenCraft Uber account as much as possible (this way we have fewer reimbursements to deal with), or local transit. Be safe, and don’t hail random taxis from the street. Uber is cheap in Colombia, so this budget should be plenty. I’ve added everybody to the Uber account – do let me know if you don’t have the option to switch from “Personal” to “OpenCraft ride” on the app. If you need to exceed the budget to cover transport to/from your local airport (a few of us live a considerable distance from their airport), it’s fine – we’ll consider this expense a part of your flight costs.

Do let me know if you have any questions, and I’m pretty excited and looking forward to seeing you soon! :sunglasses:

cc. @Ali, since you requested the info.

3 Likes

Thanks @gabriel :clap:

cc: @cassie Since you asked about the transport.

@angieruhu It was so good to meet you and chat today! I’m adding the places you recommended to our shared map (both from today and from your shared doc above).

But there’s some more things everyone should know specific to our time there.

Easter holiday

• April 1 - 9 is the week before Easter, a major holiday.
  • Many people will be away (including @angieruhu), and it will likely affect business hours and availability of providers.
  • Good Friday 7 April is a major holiday; most everything will be closed.
    Does anyone want to cook and host lunch or dinner at their place?
  • Saturday 8 April will be parties – e.g. at Andres Carne De Res in Usaqen, recommend arriving 7-8pm, will go until late late.

Sightseeing/hiking

• Carry cash – many vendors do not take credit or debit cards.
  • She doesn’t recommend that we try to do day trips too far from the city, so I think the hot springs are out… But there’s plenty to do in and near the city, including:

Coffee

• To order the best coffee, ask for tinto. By default will be con azucar (with lots of sugar), but you can ask for it sin azucar (without sugar).
  • Visit Catacion Publica if you want to taste and learn about Colombian coffee.

Safety

• Usaquen is generally safe, but always still, take care, and especially in other areas of the city.
  • Uber: don’t get into a car that doesn’t match the license plate Uber sent you
  • Stay aware: don’t have your phone out on the street, watch your bags and pockets.
  • Leave passports in your room, and carry only copies if you need them for ID.
  • Take care with elevation: drink lots of water, don’t hike high up until 1-2 days after arrival so you’ve acclimatised.
  • Check your health insurance is valid in Colombia and with your chosen activities.
5 Likes