Dealing with extra capacity in the current environment

@antoviaque I’ll keep that in mind going forward, thanks for clarifying.

It’s probably worth noting that some of the recurring responsibilities I was referring to are client/community-facing. Does the approach to arbitration that you mentioned apply to those as well, or should it be used for internal responsibilities only?

@tikr My remark was specific to the current situation - for different cases in the future it might be different, that would have to be weighted then.

For client-facing communications, that’s definitely a trickier bit - it might depend on what the communication is exactly, and the alternatives to delay them nicely. I would say in cases like this if you’re unsure just reach out to me directly and we can look at the detail of the tasks themselves together - if it’s a scenario with a tight timeline like here, we can do this synchronously on mattermost. An important bit, from my point of view, is that when I flag something as being above other priorities, to not end up delaying the work I asked to prioritize without first checking with me that the other tasks are actually more important/urgent.

1 Like

Hello Team, this is only my second sprint, so I try to not overcommit to any tasks at the beginning hoping that I get things done then pick up more as I find myself with more capacity. However it’s been challenging finding tasks/tickets to take on, or even work ahead on for upcoming sprints. Not sure if other members still face the same thing, but I wonder if anyone had suggestions or ideas on this matter?

@yusuf Feel free to pull this - BB-7617 into next sprint and work ahead. Also, I don’t remember ticket requests at the sprint start, otherwise, I would have pulled this into the current sprint. I thought everyone had sufficient on their plates. Sorry, if I have missed something on MM.

@tecoholic Thanks for the ticket, I pulled it into the next sprint and assigned it to myself. I worked ahead on a ticket for I had for this sprint, so I got to the “needs review” sooner that I expected, and found myself with more capacity to fill. I’m also trying not to over commit to a lot of tickets to be on the safe side, not knowing how longs things will take. No worries :smiley: , I didn’t post about it on MM until today.

Hey team,
I hope you are all well.

I am posting this to let you know that it’s been a bit challenging finding tickets for this Sprint. I am open to suggestions.

Cheers

2 Likes

@Cef I think there are a couple of tickets in the Video Block epic that the client has added, that might not have made it to the current sprint, but certainly should. I will verify and create them tomorrow and assign it to you (if they are not already in the sprint).

3 Likes

Thank you, @tecoholic. Much appreciated. :smile:

@tecoholic Please have a look at Log in - OpenCraft before creating the ticket :)

@farhaan Thank you for the link. I will check the issue before creating a new one. :slight_smile:

Hi @Cef I have added BB-8054 with the 2 issues that weren’t in this sprint. Kindly take a look.

Thanks, @tecoholic!

Hello team, I want to raise this again.

It was difficult to find work for @Cef last sprint, and while with @tecoholic’s and @farhaan’s help we were able to scrape together a few tickets, it wasn’t enough to fill his hours. Looking at this page, I don’t see enough of fresh unassigned tickets created recently, so the situation is unlikely to improve this sprint. Actually it may become worse, since a few new team members are joining us soon and we have to find good starting tickets for them too.

Any ideas on how to improve this?

cc @paulo @maxim as mentors.

1 Like

If it is the quantity of work we are talking about here, we are going to start a new epic this sprint, and it would be a custom MFE. It should bring in more work early next sprint. The details should be finalized at the end of the week.

2 Likes

@demid Also, if what @tecoholic mentions is not enough:

1. Maybe talk to @gabor and @mtyaka - they are planning to delegate some devops tickets related to adopting Harmony and/or finish current DevOps epics (they have a budget equal to the time spent on the sandboxes project)

2. If the rest still isn’t enough, talk to me too. There are a few tasks related to the Open Source Masterclass MOOC that I would like to see handled soon, as we have started getting learners going through the class, and we need to handle them better:

FYI @tecoholic As this could also potentially be a source of trial projects.

CC @tikr as internal projects would affect

1 Like
  1. Maybe talk to gabor and mtyaka - they are planning to delegate some devops tickets related to adopting Harmony and/or finish current DevOps epics (they have a budget equal to the time spent on the sandboxes project)

Just as Xavier mentioned, feel free ping me in these situations as we have some dynamic budget, so we may can “outsource” some work from Serenity. Just as we will do in the upcoming sprint.

@demid If the issue still exists, please ping me on MM in a few hours and I can send a list of tasks that are available.

1 Like

It seems the situation changed since you posted this as I had to postpone two tickets to the next sprint as I couldn’t find assignees since everyone seems at capacity right now.

Newcomers will have a big onboarding task to start with and we are heading towards the holidays when capacity is quite difficult to predict. Between those, the new MFE epic, and DevOps tasks, I think we are set for the short-term. In the long term, we need more billable work through new clients and/or to increase the monthly budget of current projects.

2 Likes

I’m looking for a first ticket after the trial project for Stephannie.

@tecoholic Do you have any more tickets from the new epic that could be assigned to a newcomer?

@antoviaque If I were to create a new ticket for one of the linked issues, to which epic and account should it go?

@maxim For the online course, it would go to the MOOC FLOSS epic. You can also put it on the corresponding account (OpenCraft - MOOC FLOSS) for now, though it would probably be worth setting up a proper “OpenCraft - Last resort” account, to be able to count and detect the use of backup tasks. @gabriel Could you create that account? FYI @tikr

@maxim Currently @navin is handling the new epic and has a better idea about the state of the epic.

@navin Would it be possible to create tickets that can be worked ahead while you review the current PRs? Or when can we expect tickets coming in from that epic?