Demo/Tech talk: Open edX MFEs

I’ve had recently been working on a lot of frontend code for Open edX MFE, including creating multiple MFEs from scratch.

I was wondering how best to share the knowledge, and figured it best to ask here. I’ve given a talk on react/redux before here (starting at ~40mins), but that was before MFEs existed in their current form, with the current structure and template.

Would there be any interest in having a tech talk/demo for this? If so, what would be the preferred form?

• Live talk, shared later as a recording
  • Pre-recorded video
  • Written documentation
  • Other (specify)

0 voters

For those interested, what all would you like to see covered?

• Creating a new MFE
  • Configuring an MFE for use with edx-platform
  • Setting up an MFE in Ocim
  • The structure of MFEs
    etc

I’m hoping this will be a one-time investment that will pay off in terms of learning time saved.

10 Likes

Very nice! I’ll certainly share this on our blog/newsletter if it’s recorded.

2 Likes

That would be great @kshitij!

Configuring an MFE for use with edx-platform

I would be interesting in learning about how to replace an existing page in edx-platform with a custom MFE. For example I’d like to replace the dashboard, or the course about page with MFEs.

1 Like

I am looking forward to this :slight_smile:

1 Like

@kshitij Nice idea!

I’d love to learn more about the Open edX MFE structure and how to set one up.
I’d cut Setting up an MFE in Ocim from the talk scope since that can be easily covered with a few docs (and is probably more useful that way).

1 Like

Sure. That’s just a rough list to generate ideas. I’d love to be able to get people contributing to MFE-based frontend tasks more easily.

I’ve been having a hard time finding time to prepare for this, but I think I’m somewhat ready now. Anything left out can be reserved for later talks.

Now it comes to scheduling. These used to come with mid-sprint meeting. Should we follow that and keep it with the next social chat? Perhaps 1h after the social chat i.e. reserve 1hr for the social chat and start the tech talk then?

1 Like

@kshitij Yup - though you can probably pick any time you’d like. As long as it’s recorded for everyone to see async, then what counts is that the time works for you, first :slight_smile:

And great that you’ll be doing this - thank you! :+1:

It’s been more than a year now, but I’ve finally found time to prepare for this talk.

Please indicate the best time to have this tech talk at the following link: Calendly - Kshitij Sobti

9 Likes

Most times are too early for me but I’ll definitely watch the recording. :smiley:

2 Likes

Oo calendly has a whenisgood-like thing? That’s very good to know!

I’m also happy to watch a recording if my times don’t work for others :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same, those times don’t really work for me but I’ll watch the recording!

Same for me – but also looking forward to watch it async :) Thanks for doing this Kshitij!

Yeah, I just noticed it recently and figured I’ll try it out here. I think it was pretty straightforward.

I’ve booked a meeting for one of the leading times on 23rd. Hope to see anyone who can attend there!

1 Like

Really sorry everyone. I’m facing some tech issues. I had a power outage and now my desktop refuses to start.

If I can’t get it running in another 5 mins. I might need to postpone.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry for needing to postpone this. I’ve got my computer up and running now, but I feel like some kind of explanation is deserved.

Today, I had a longer-than-usual power outage and needed to shut down my desktop, which is something I rarely ever do. The power came back well in time before the meeting, but when I tried to turn on my computer, it just wouldn’t, unfortunately I wasn’t able it get it started on time. I think in my recent attempt to diagnose over-heating, I accidentally loosened the power button and, now it doesn’t work.

In any case, if the same time next Tuesday is suitable to everyone. I will set up a new meeting for then. I could do the same time tomorrow, but I think I’ll need some time to properly fix this issue, and set up my laptop as backup.

1 Like

Same day/time next week works for me :slight_smile: Good luck with your hardware! :crossed_fingers:

I’ve rescheduled it for the same day this week then. i.e. Wednesday, same time.

3 Likes

@kshitij Thank you for the tech talk!

Imho, I think it could’ve been a bit shorter, but otherwise it was very useful. Even though I did some work on the discussions MFE before, I still learned a few new things from the talk.

Can someone please share a link to the recording? :)