Docker requirements for edx/devstack

The Prerequisites section of edx/devstack/README says:

We find that configuring Docker for Mac with a minimum of 2 CPUs, 8GB of memory, and a disk image size of 96GB does work.

Really? My Macbook has only 8Gb of memory and 123Gb of available disk storage. Do I need to upgrade my equipment?

@raul

Really? My Macbook has only 8Gb of memory and 123Gb of available disk storage. Do I need to upgrade my equipment?

You can try it but it will probably be strained. There’s are significant issues with Mac OS X and resource usage. Mac OS X can’t run docker natively. It has to create a VM to run the Linux kernel and then portion resources out to that VM. Issues with disk access speeds have historically been awful, leading many on the team (myself included) to give up on using Mac as our workhorse OS and switch to Linux.

That’s not encouraging. I misspoke about my MacBook. It has 16 Gb, which is more reasonable. My Linux mini-tower has only 8Gb, but I haven’t used it in a while. I could look into upgrading the memory, but the motherboard and CPU are at least 10 years old by now, so it would probably make more sense for me to get a new mini-tower or laptop and install Linux.

I should probably take a survey and ask what other OC developers are using. Still, I’ve come to really like my MacBook and would hate to have to give that up for a clunky tower or non-Apple laptop.

Meanwhile, I’ll bump the Docker memory to 8Gb since I have 16Gb.

@lawrence, there are some details (may not be up-to-date) about what the team members are using in the Workstations / iOS dev sheet of the Contact spreadsheet.

Yep. I forgot about that when I posted. Thanks.