Looking for a reviewer for the Open edX Theme epic

Hey @bebop,

We need someone to take over the reviewer role on the STAR-2399: Develop a modern, visually attractive and polished AGPL-licensed Open edX Theme epic.

@cassie took the epic owner role from me since I moved to the DevOps cell, but we need a developer who can offer technical input and eventually coordinate the implementation of the theme to be a reviewer.

Is anyone interested?

2 Likes

Following the post by @mtyaka, we’re looking at partnering with Abstract Technology from a development perspective and want to engage with them soonest on a call. See the discussion here.

The call will likely centre around how they’ll be able to assist with development - so it will be ideal if the person that takes this role is up-to-date with what’s happening so we can put together a suitable development plan. I’m happy to walk you through where we are with the project if you’re interested in taking this on :slight_smile:

cc. @antoviaque @Ali

2 Likes

Since I’m already working on the other theming epic, I could do this.

3 Likes

That would be perfect! Thanks @kshitij

@kshitij Thanks so much!

Would you be available to chat to the team at Abstract Technology next week? They’ve proposed two dates here.

I can get you up to speed before. Basically we’re ready to start a portion of the development. So we need to discuss this too. Let me get some info together for you so you know where we’re at, and let’s discuss possible dev timelines. I’d like to have our ducks basically in a row before we chat to Abstract Technology. If I need to push the call out so you have more time to get up to speed, I can do that.

@kshitij I’ve put together a really short video outlining where we’re at design wise on the Open edX theme. It’ll just give you a bit of background ahead of our call on Monday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@kshitij

Ahead of Thursday’s potential call I just want to find out if you think we have capacity to work on the Open edX theme.

Combining the budgets of the related Open edX MFE branding and theming and Develop a modern, visually attractive and polished AGPL-licensed Open edX Theme epics, and limiting the total number of hours spent by Bebop to 90h for the rest of the year.

@tikr mentioned above that we have 90 dev hours left for the rest of the year. How much of that can we award to building the theme / collaborating with Abstract Technology? And can you still assist in managing and distributing the tasks to get some work done on this?

cc. @antoviaque

1 Like

I think for the core theming improvements to the platform, we have two projects, moving to CSS variables, and sharing theme code across MFEs. These are more technical and won’t affect anything visually.

In terms of implementing the theme itself, I think the first task would be in understanding how/if the above will impact how the theme is built. I don’t suspect it will much. I can definitely assist in managing and distributing tasks, I guess some of that can be discussed in the meeting.

I think the starting point should be getting the style guide in as a theme, which can go a long way into recreating the theme as designed. After that, we can better understand where there are gaps (if any) in the current theming mechanism that prevent fully implementing the theme.

1 Like

@kshitij Okay great, let’s see the outcomes of the meeting today!