OpenCraft newsletter - news section

Hi team,

Starting this week we’ll be publishing a monthly newsletter to all of our contacts. Click here for a preview of our first edition :slight_smile:

Each newsletter will feature a “News” section where we discuss the latest news from the Open edX world.

Please use this thread to share any info that could be worthy of adding to that section for an upcoming newsletter. Each month we’ll share our ideas for the upcoming newsletter and we’ll ask for your input.

For reference, here are the news for the first edition:

Thanks in advance for your help!

ticket to log time

1 Like

Nice!
The first edition of the newsletter looks amazing! :smiley:

I’ll just throw random ideas here for the next ones:

• Feature our blog posts
  • Take active discussions from the community group or discuss.openedx.org, write a brief intro and invite the audience to participate.
  • Link some tutorials/courses on improving and making course content
  • Check in with a few clients which we done custom work for and feature that work and it’s impact on the learners? (from simple things such as the custom auth for Lumerical to the big projects like LabXChange, HMS, and Yonkers)

Also, not exactly in the scope of the newsletter, but we might want to make a marketing campaign to launch the new Ocim user console (after we finish fixing all the bugs though :stuck_out_tongue:). I’ll ping about this on the epic when it’s time.

1 Like

Hi all!

We are compiling our May newsletter and wanted to check in on some of the the latest news from the Open edX world. What have you been reading this month? Any exciting industry updates?

For easy reference, what we included in the April newsletter is noted above in @gabriel’s note.

Thank you in advance for your input!
Kim

1 Like

Hi all,

I am preparing our June newsletter and wanted to check in on some of the the latest news. There’s a few nice topics that we can share this month. I thought I’d go with:

• Details about edX projects we’re working on
  • Juniper release
  • Launch of the core committers program
  • Featured blog posts

Any additional suggestions? Or maybe suggestions for next month? Thanks!

Ticket to log time

1 Like

@gabriel Looks good!

Maybe for next month, since the list for this month is already quite full – advertising the contributors meetup, which we run?

1 Like

Hi all,

I am preparing our July newsletter and wanted to check in on some of the latest news. Here’s what I thought we should talk about:

• Latest details about edX projects we’re working on
  • Link to Juniper release notes
  • Advertising the contributors meetup
  • Featured blog post (FAQ post, which I’ll publish this week)

Any additional suggestions? Thanks!

Ticket to log time

@antoviaque thanks for the suggestions.

We’ll have the video updated by Nordik, given the feedback provided in the thread, so it won’t be ready in time for the July newsletter. It would be a good candidate for the August newsletter though.

1 Like

Hey team, it’s that time of the month again, time for some news to share in our newsletter!

For this month, here’s what I thought of covering:

• Announcing our new promo video
  • Quick note to announce that we’re almost done migrating all of our instances to Juniper
  • Latest progress on edX projects (advancements in the Discussions project, etc.)
  • Submitting a few projects for the Open edX roadmap workshop
  • Reminder about upcoming UX interviews
  • Blog post highlight - rebuild our Open edX instance manager (Giovanni’s latest blog post)

Anything else that you can think of?

ticket to log time

thanks!

1 Like

Hey team, now is the time for some news to share in our newsletter!

For this month, here’s what I thought of covering:

• List of Open edX Opportunity Briefs that we submitted
  • Latest progress on edX projects
  • Reminder about upcoming UX interviews
  • Blog post highlight - Development of Chat XBlock (written by Kshitij)

Anything else that you can think of?

ticket to log time

Thanks!

1 Like

@gabriel Thanks, that looks great!

Maybe add a point giving an update on the core committers program? @braden would you be willing to write a couple of sentences for that update, including stats about our own participation to the program?

@gabriel Another point that could be worth mentioning in the newsletter is the fact that Open edX has re-affirmed a decision to cut more predictable 6 month releases (cf threads on forum - including a recent post from Ned proposing dates for the cut and release of Koa).

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions @antoviaque :slight_smile:

That would be neat. @braden if possible, can you provide this quick update on Sept 30th at the latest? Thanks :slight_smile:

Sure, will put directly into the google doc.

Hey all,

I’m preparing the newsletter for October.
Here’s what I have so far:

• Quick update on our progress with the edX BD projects
  • Reminder about the upcoming brainstorm session for the Open edX Opportunity Briefs
  • Announcing the date of release for Koa and linking to relevant forum threads
  • Announcing new Open edX features list on Open edX website
  • Announcing upcoming community work on a community-maintained XBlocks/extensions catalog
  • Blog post overview: Gradebook MFE

Anything else you can think of? Community-wise, or project-wise?

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Ticket to log time

2 Likes

Hey there,

I’m preparing our upcoming
newsletter (December). Anything specific you think we should share with the community?
Here’s what I plan on publishing:

1 Like

Hi team,

The time has come once again! This month will be short, since there was 2-3 weeks of Holidays where things were slower. Here’s what I had planned on publishing in our upcoming newsletter:

Any additional ideas? Thanks for your help!

log time here

@gabriel I added one suggestion on the newsletter draft, about the documentation hackathon: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1StrBBmVBnOkkbWslko9dQ5lLbOGMCCKsYN4AKhih9vI/edit?disco=AAAAHtZoKJs

1 Like

Suggestion for the next newsletter:

• Mention the fact that we have opened our forum to the public, and link to it (we should also add a link from our website, actually?)
  • Ask the readers to submit their own items for the next newsletter - which could be done in the current thread, since it is public :slight_smile:
  • Ask for feedback & suggestions about OpenCraft in general? Our services, what they are happy with, what we could do better… We could invite readers to reply directly to the email?

@adolfo You might also have a few points, about the different working groups for example?

2 Likes

And another suggestion - it would be worth posting the news section from the newsletter in a blog post, each month? It’s a really useful bit by itself, it would give people visiting our site an overview of it.

And we could also encourage people to subscribe to the newsletter there – by mentioning that this is sent every month as part of the newsletter, and include a call to action in that blog post, pointing to the newsletter registration.

2 Likes

Good idea. I’ll be glad to contribute a couple of paragraphs on the built-test-release and community groups. @gabriel, how does this usually work? Would I write directly on the draft?

1 Like

Thank you for the nice ideas @antoviaque. I like how this is slowly becoming more of a team effort :)

Sure, I’ve added it as a deliverable in BIZ-744.

Sure, we can do that. I’ve scheduled BIZ-1643 to tackle this next week.

@adolfo, thanks for jumping in :) You can write directly in the draft, yep!

2 Likes