Proposed Maintenance/Maintainership Policy

There’s nothing wrong with having two maintainers if you both think that makes sense. In fact, it can help. It just depends on if there’s an urgent need for maintainers for other repos, or if they’re mostly covered now.

FYI @pooja is already a core contributor on completion, so that would make 3 OpenCrafters there.

Saw this message today on Slack for another repo that we might want to look at:

Zach Hancock: [inform] Our team at 2U will be stepping away from our role as owner/maintainers for the LTI consumer code in edx-platform (GitHub - openedx/xblock-lti-consumer). If any group is interested in taking this over I’d be happy to help figure out next steps to hand off.

Oh, In this case, I would simply pick only openedx/edx-drf-extensions as I’m already a maintainer in the k8s-harmony project that consumes a big amount of my time right now (and if a review is needed, that consumes a lot too).

1 Like

Hi all,

My task is to go through the Release Repos spreadsheet and find maintainers first for the Pri 1 repos (then we’ll iterate, go to Pri 2, etc). Looking at repos that OpenCraft has expressed interest in, I would like to know if you’ll be signing up for the following repos:

openedx/paragon
openedx/frontend-platform
openedx/RecommenderXBlock
openedx/brand-openedx

Additionally, OpenCraft and others have expressed interest in the following repos; if you’re still interested, please let me know and I will start conversations between you and the interested teams:

openedx/frontend-app-learner-dashboard (2U, eduNEXT, possibly Axim)
openedx/openedx-test-course (eduNEXT)
openedx/frontend-build (eduNEXT)

Thanks!

ETA: Please see this post about Pri1 repos that no one has claimed :sob: Seeking Maintainers: Priority 1 Repos - Maintainers - Open edX discussions

2 Likes

Tagging @michellephilbrick to this thread, as well.

@sarina Thanks for participating here and sorry the status of everything is a bit messy.

paragon - @braden and @kshitij are interested but not sure we’re ideal candidates. If nobody else has stepped forward we can take it on for now. (@kshitij is that right?)

frontend-platform - @braden can be a maintainer here, sure.

RecommenderXBlock - @navin can you confirm you’re ready to take on maintainership?

brand-openedx - @Ali and @cassie are interested in reviewing PRs and decisions related to the upcoming theme revamp but I’m not sure anyone has the capacity to take on maintainership of the code repo yet. Team, please let me know if someone is interested.

openedx/frontend-app-learner-dashboard (2U, eduNEXT, possibly Axim)
openedx/openedx-test-course (eduNEXT)
openedx/frontend-build (eduNEXT)

Sounds like you have great maintainers for those. If we find we’re contributing to some of these a lot in the future, I think we should onboard as CCs where it makes sense, but I don’t think there’s any need to push for us to be co-maintainers for now.

Unfortunately most of those remaining ones are low priority for our clients or otherwise not things we want to invest in maintaining. One that stands out though is edx-rest-api-client - maybe someone here is interested in maintaining that? (Related: It would be nice to set a future direction to develop it into a proper API client with typed methods like enroll_user() auto-generated from the OpenAPI schema)

4 Likes

@sarina Oh, I missed one more:

edx-organizations - @farhaan would like to take this one on.

1 Like

Yes. :rocket:

1 Like

@braden @sarina

I can do edx-rest-api-client besides openedx/edx-drf-extensions (though I still need to volunteer) if that helps.

Yes, that is correct.

Hi @gabor! Just want to confirm if you’re still willing to take these? edx-rest-api-client openedx/edx-drf-extensions

Hi @cassie and @Ali! Just checking in on this.

Hey @michellephilbrick, Ali and I would love to review PRs for brand-openedx. Can you let me know what we need to do to get involved?

Hi everyone - sorry for the late reply.

If you’re already a CC on the repo(s) you’re volunteering for, I think you can go ahead and claim maintainership by updating catalog-info.yaml in your repo. Otherwise, you should go through the nomination process to become a CC on the repo - in your nomination post, you should indicate that you also wish to be a maintainer. And - you’re totally allowed to nominate yourself.

Let me know if you have any questions!

@michellephilbrick Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I’m still willing to take these.

Hi Cassie! Just making sure you saw Sarina’s message above. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks Michelle! We’ll get involved in the reviews when they arise in the UX/UI WG :slight_smile:

Just wanted to post an update here based on a community meeting that happened today.

We’re already ahead of the curve here-- having gone out of our way to begin picking up maintainerships. However there’s still a great deal of repositories that still need maintainers, and so the community spent some time strategizing today and raising awareness of the issue, primarily lead by @feanil over at Axim.

Here’s a basic overview of some items that were covered:

1. Many repositories still need maintainers and the community is still looking for them. If you weren’t able to look over the list before or your circumstances have changed now, please give the spreadsheet another look.
  2. Even if you’re not able to take on maintainership, there are many individual tasks that need doing on these repos. One large recent example is upgrading the language/framework versions (Python/node/webpack/etc). Some repositories still need this. So you can do a one-off contribution to maintenance on any particular repository you like to fill in some CC hours. Check the issues listss, and open a PR if something strikes your fancy.
  3. @feanil is the one coordinating this effort and spearheading the organizational structure needed for long-term maintenance. He’s the point-person for now of figuring out where you can help if you’d like to but you’re unsure.
  4. There is also interest in deprecating many repos that are either unused or minimally used, or else finding ways to consolidate projects into particular domain ‘monoliths’ to cut down on the number of repositories that have to be managed.

@feanil please feel free to correct me if I misremembered anything here, or let me know if there’s anything you’d like to add.

3 Likes

Great summary Fox, and yes, I’m happy to chat with anyone and figure out a roadmap to becoming a maintainer if that seems like it would be helpful. I’d be especially excited if there were people interested in taking over maintainership of repos we want to deprecate and then helping get rid the feature and its tendrils.

1 Like