Proposed Maintenance/Maintainership Policy

So far I only see this post - is that what you mean?

I don’t yet know exactly who is interested/able to take on what, but I’ve made tasks for next sprint, so we’ll be able to do this soon.

@braden Yes that’s it - following the concrete steps for nomination and review in the forums. And sounds good for the next sprint - since that only starts next week though, can we make sure to do 2-3 nominations during the first week of the sprint, by March 8th?

sure, I’ll note that on my task.

1 Like

I’m interested in the maintenance of:

What are the next steps? Since these are not prio1-prio1 repos, from OpenCraft point of view, does it matter, or should I start volunteering?

I’m interested in maintaining these two Priority 1 repos, so I’ve posted to volunteer:

2 Likes

@gabor We would need to focus on volunteering for priority 1 repos first. Would you be able to pick a couple from that list instead at first?

I have added some information about openedx/xblock-skill-tagging and openedx/event-bus-redis to the spreadsheet.

openedx/xblock-skill-tagging is currently maintained by 2U, and openedx/event-bus-redis is maintained by Axim. However, if they would like us to maintain these repositories, I can volunteer as I am familiar with their code bases (since we developed them).

If they do not require maintainers for any of the above-listed repositories, I can offer to maintain openedx/frontend-app-account. Given that I already maintain openedx/frontend-app-library-authoring, which is also a MFE, I am hoping that much of the work will overlap.

Sure, I’ll take a look later today/early tomorrow!

1 Like

Here is stuff I can offer to maintain:

• edx-platform/openedx/core/djangoapps/discussions: I was heavily involved in the development of this code.
  • edx-platform/openedx/core/djangoapps/coruse_apps: I don’t see this listed, but I was heavily involved here as well. Perhaps it’s not a big enough component to be its own thing.
  • frontend-app-course-authoring: Likewise, I’ve worked on this a lot and am a core contributor.
  • frontend-app-discussions: I’ve been heavily involved in this as well. I don’t see it in our priority list, but it’s essentially the new forum UI for discussions rewritten in react. I am a core contributor here as well.

Finally, I can also help with cs_comments_service since I’ve developed some familiarity after working on it a bit.

I’m interested in maintaining these:

• frontend-app-learner-dashboard
  • edx-platform/lms/djangoapps/bulk_enroll

In addition to these, we will likely be building a new MFE for HMS soon which I’d be interested in maintaining as well.

@kshitij Would you perhaps be interested in maintaining paragon? The topic came up during yesterday’s maintenance working group meeting (see third item from list of discussion topics), and your name was the one that popped into my head :slightly_smiling_face:

CC @feanil @arbrandes

Paragon is a pretty big and central thing, it aligns right up with my theming interest, but I’m afraid I don’t have as much of a history with that repo as I do with the others.

@tikr I would actually be interested in maintaining Paragon as well, if there is still a need and if there is at least one other maintainer (so I can get my own PRs reviewed). But I don’t have much experience contributing to that particular repo. And I would be a pretty opinionated maintainer, wanting to move more toward TypeScript and modernizing the codebase.

1 Like

@pooja @navin @kshitij @jill Those all sound like great things to take on maintenance of - thanks!

Would you like to post your own nomination thread on the forums now?

(or @antoviaque is there some other next step?)

@tikr @antoviaque @braden I’ve been thinking a bit. Lately I’ve been having difficulty keeping my hours up due to a lull in direct activity in sales. Sometimes I can pad this with Listaflow work but not always, due to budget concerns there. I’m also incentivized to take tickets from Bebop when there’s a shortfall of work for me, which isn’t helping those in Bebop who are undercommitted.

If there is room within contributions, I’m open to onboarding to the program and being a maintainer of Paragon if there’s a need for an additional maintainer alongside Braden. Admittedly, I’ve only used it lightly as a consumer, but I’d be happy to do more work on it. If Braden will already have an additional maintainer, I’m open to maintaining other repos of need.

Let me know if this is an option.

1 Like

I volunteered to maintain frontend-app-gradebook and I am interested in maintaining edx-platform/openedx/core/djangoapps/olx_rest_api component of edx-platform. I don’t know how or where to volunteer for this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Deathstar/MNG’s contribution budget for Q1-Q2 doesn’t have room, unfortunately (if anything we need to slow down our spending a bit to avoid exceeding the budget by the end of Q2).

We would need to extend it if you were to join the CC program.

I’m not sure if that’s an option in the short term. My understanding is that we need to continue being careful/conservative when it comes to non-billable hours (at least until we can reliably increase the throughput of billable hours that we’re seeing each month).

@antoviaque would need to decide if there’s still a way to make it happen.

@kshitij @braden Re: paragon, I suggest that you coordinate with @feanil and @arbrandes on next steps, for example via #wg-maintenance on Slack or via the Release repos and Maintenance Priorities spreadsheet.

As you probably saw when checking the notes from the working group meeting that I linked to above, the idea was for Axim and OpenCraft to jointly maintain the repo. So there should definitely be at least one other maintainer :slightly_smiling_face:

That won’t necessarily matter, see updated rules for repo maintenance.

@braden Sounds about right to me :+1:

Yup, before we extend the number of core contributors further, it would be good to see where we land with the additional maintainerships we are taking on. It will replace some of the core contributor work we already do, but will also likely increase it overall.

@Fox What is the size your hours gap currently? Given that there is room for Bebop to take on more work too, is there something we could do to increase the volume of effort on the prospecting side to push your hours up, and also get more work?

I’ve been getting about half of my target hours (~10-11 hours or so) over the past couple of weeks. The couple of weeks before that I was getting about 2/3rds (15-16). Target is 20.

There are some things I could do-- I’ve already scheduled tasks for checking out grant applications, and I could take a task to see if I can mine any leads from DevAid. I could also do some improvements to how we’re handling leads on the automation front, since there are a few places where issues with the workflow can result in problems like missed pings. For example, the reminder emails that are supposed to go out when I need to circle back with a lead stopped sending out some time ago and I have been manually checking the CRM since.

The contact form could also be improved to actually put CRM entries in. Right now they don’t-- but most of the submissions are spam. So making sure that leads DO get put in the CRM automatically and spam leads are prevented (perhaps via CAPTCHA) could make sure that we’re not leaving anything on the table due to a data entry error (and less time is wasted on spam).

I’ll schedule all of these things and see how far that gets me.