Proposed Maintenance/Maintainership Policy

Thanks Michelle! We’ll get involved in the reviews when they arise in the UX/UI WG :slight_smile:

Just wanted to post an update here based on a community meeting that happened today.

We’re already ahead of the curve here-- having gone out of our way to begin picking up maintainerships. However there’s still a great deal of repositories that still need maintainers, and so the community spent some time strategizing today and raising awareness of the issue, primarily lead by @feanil over at Axim.

Here’s a basic overview of some items that were covered:

1. Many repositories still need maintainers and the community is still looking for them. If you weren’t able to look over the list before or your circumstances have changed now, please give the spreadsheet another look.
  2. Even if you’re not able to take on maintainership, there are many individual tasks that need doing on these repos. One large recent example is upgrading the language/framework versions (Python/node/webpack/etc). Some repositories still need this. So you can do a one-off contribution to maintenance on any particular repository you like to fill in some CC hours. Check the issues listss, and open a PR if something strikes your fancy.
  3. @feanil is the one coordinating this effort and spearheading the organizational structure needed for long-term maintenance. He’s the point-person for now of figuring out where you can help if you’d like to but you’re unsure.
  4. There is also interest in deprecating many repos that are either unused or minimally used, or else finding ways to consolidate projects into particular domain ‘monoliths’ to cut down on the number of repositories that have to be managed.

@feanil please feel free to correct me if I misremembered anything here, or let me know if there’s anything you’d like to add.

4 Likes

Great summary Fox, and yes, I’m happy to chat with anyone and figure out a roadmap to becoming a maintainer if that seems like it would be helpful. I’d be especially excited if there were people interested in taking over maintainership of repos we want to deprecate and then helping get rid the feature and its tendrils.

2 Likes

@sarina I nominated myself for CC rights on RecommenderXBlock repo. Could you please share the next steps as to how I can get write access over the repo. I can then update catalog-info.yaml file in it.

@navin So you recommended yourself for RecommenderXblock? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

@gabor Yes, I was recommended to take up maintainership for more repositories so I recommended RecommenderXblock :sweat_smile:

3 Likes