Secret Santa

Alright, now that the poll is closed, let’s get this started! :slight_smile:

If you have indicated you wanted to participate, you should receive an email on your @opencraft.com mailbox with the details of the next steps, including the name of the person you are the santa of :slight_smile:

To do this week (before Nov 19th): write your wishlist to your santa (and include the delivery address if different than in the contact list!). The earlier you send it, the more time your santa will have to think of it and shop, so the better your gift will be :stuck_out_tongue:

Reminder: we won’t know where your gift will be coming from in the world at this point :slight_smile: so it wouldn’t need to be too precise - maybe categories, themes or examples that can leave some room for interpretation to the santa. This would also be a place to indicate if you have any constraint for receiving the gift - if you find it easier to receive it at the conference, you can also indicate it.

1 Like

Thanks for entering your wishlists everyone! I think we are only missing @jill 's, who is away - so for Jill’s santa, pick your best guess to pick a gift for her in the meantime :slight_smile:

Next step: picking the gifts - we’ll be sending them on Dec 3rd.

She posted it in this thread, FYI: Secret Santa - #5 by jill

@braden Ah perfect, thanks!

Since I was unwell a lot recently, I missed following this discussion and participating in the activity.

Due to issues around shipping, shipping costs, customs etc., I prefer doing something like this if we organize this again during the conference.

@antoviaque Jill address also isn’t listed on the contact doc btw.

@gabriel Hmm, then maybe it’s better for her santa to wait for her to come back and provide an address. Alternatively, mailing it to a post office in her city, and then giving her the address, could also work.

Quick reminder to all the santas - today is gift sending day! :slight_smile:

Remember to check the wishlist of the person you are sending the gift to, for any preference for the expedition. Otherwise, use the address in the contact form.

For the expedition, take the lowest/cheapest way that provides a tracking number - this way you can keep an eye on it, and warn the person receiving the gift if the package needs attention to be received.

1 Like

It is now! Sorry for the delay.

So… when’s the big reveal? I got an anonymous message from my secret santa (and a lovely gift!) but I don’t know who to thank!

1 Like

@jill Cool that you received your gift! I haven’t had mine yet :slight_smile:

If you have it, do you want to post a picture here? You can try to guess who sent it… Your santa can confirm by replying here? :slight_smile:

Sure :smile:

Hey Jill : ) I gave a €10 donation to Fauna Rescue of South Australia, that’s a great gift idea. Cheers!

Thank you so much!

Since this is a digital gift, I’ll post a cute photo of a rescued koala from Fauna Rescue SA:

They’re a great organisation. Very little administration, so the donations go straight to helping rehabilitate and release animals back into the wild.

And my guess is @gabriel , since he noticed my shipping details were missing from Contacts

6 Likes

Wow, look at the claws on that koala!! :astonished: It’s so cute, but you definitely don’t want it to get mad at you!! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Well done @jill :laughing:

1 Like

Ahahah, well done @jill - useful gift, and good uncovering of santa ;p

Mwa ha ha ha… ahem… ho ho ho ho! (That’s my attempt at fiendish festive laughter.) Very sweet of you, thank you @gabriel!

Yep… they’re slow moving (i.e., drunk on eucalyptus) but their claws mean they can do this:

3 Likes

I also already got my gift!

The secret Santa tried giving me a Steam game, but wasn’t able to due to some pesky Steam rules. So I got a nice gift card instead.
gift

I’ll use it to buy the book The Shallows: How the internet is changing the way we think, read and remember.

My secret santa left a clue in the gift card (it was from Amazon Australia!), so it’s either @anon46505572 or @jill.

3 Likes

My gift has arrived today too! It seems to be a very special Spanish alcohol!

Drum roll… with my dog who is as impatient as me.
IMG_20191212_170311

Tada!
IMG_20191212_170855

Sadly I don’t drink alcohol but you can be sure that my French family will be happy to taste it during end-of-year parties. :smiley:

After some research about Vermouth, it is mostly produced by France, Italy and Spain. The taste seems to be close to wine, so my guess is Xavier? (not sure at all :joy:)

2 Likes

That’s such a valuable skill to have!! :sweat_smile:

Oh oh oh, well done! :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not very French actually - it’s originally Italian, and it’s nowhere better than in Barcelona, where it’s almost a religion. You don’t say “going to have a coffee” with someone - you say “going to have a vermut” ;p

Too bad that you don’t drink alcohol, I should have though of that possibility! But hopefully you should make a few happy people :) Not sure if you’ve got the note - but make sure to serve it cold with large ice cubes, a slice of orange, and some green olives. The mixing of those tastes is what makes it great! :)

Originally I wanted to send you the one that I buy from a local wine maker here, which is amazing - but they wouldn’t let me ship it at the post office… Instead I got you an order of the one primed in Spain last year. :)

2 Likes