This is completely off topic, optional and unlogged, so feel free to ignore if you aren’t interested. But since we are all spread out in the world, I thought it could be interesting to do our own version of the traditional secret santa people play around the end of year holidays - where we receive a gift from potentially (almost) anywhere in the world. It’s a bit religious in origin, but our version can be fully secular.
Here is how it could work:
- Participants would each be assigned someone to give a gift to - we will each be the santa of someone, and have one santa assigned to each.
- In November we pick gifts, and we send them at the beginning of December. We all go to the post office one day, and send our gift to the person we have been assigned to be the santa of. It will then take a few days to a few weeks to arrive to everyone, throughout the month of December.
- To help santas decide on the gifts, we each write a wishlist to our santa, for the gift we will be receiving. Note that we won’t know where your gift will be coming from in the world at this point so it wouldn’t need to be too precise - maybe categories, themes or examples that can leave some room for interpretation to the santa. Edit: This would also be a place to indicate if you have any constraint for receiving the gift - if you find it easier to receive it at the conference, you can also indicate it.
- There would also be a set maximum price for the gift, identical for everyone - maybe 10 euros? Edit: This is only for the cost of the gift, and doesn’t include shipping costs, since that can vary depending on the destination. The spending limit for shipping costs is to use the very basic/slow/normal postal mail - ie no UPS express shipping. There is the whole month of December for them to arrive, and this way the gift’s journey can be a little more interesting than taking a plane.
- When we’ll receive the gifts, we’ll post pictures on the forum - this way we can all see them arrive, and try to figure out together who the santas were
What do you think?
If you are interested, click “I’m in!” below before Nov 12th, and I’ll include you in the draw.
- I’m in!
- Not this time