2022 Conference: Activities in Cascais and Lisbon

No need to substitute for me… I’m an omnivore.

I’ll need to moderate my alcohol intake, so might just do mineral water every other location, if that’s ok?

Great! If we do Friday, then Amber can attend. :) Could we ask that her food be made without mushrooms per her allergy?

FYI, I have also brought with me The Metagame. :slight_smile:

1 Like

FYI I still haven’t received my invite?

Same here-- and Amber will need one, too! :)

Everyone registered in the initial batch should have it now, but the seats added after the booking won’t – Airbnb doesn’t seem to allow that change. The organizer is warned, and the extra seats for @jill @amber and @kaustav are confirmed.

@Fox you are in the list of invitees though, you should have got an email (don’t worry too much though, you’re registered so just show up :) )

1 Like

That’s good to know, thank you!! However, the calendar entry just says this for the location: “TBD - Check emails from Airbnb”. Could someone please update it with an actual location once we know?

With @jill and @mdavies we are thinking of doing some diving this week-end - any other diver in the group who would be interested? We are thinking of doing this on Sunday, before the ebike tour.

Would you like to join the dive on Sunday?
  • Yes, and I have PADI certification
  • Yes, but I don’t have a certification
  • No

0 voters

@jill Done :)

1 Like

I don’t know if that timing will work… Most of the dive sites I’m finding are some distance away from Lisbon (25-100km), and there doesn’t seem to be much shore diving, so we might need to book a boat.

But there’s some stunning diving here… this page has 5, and this page has more. Specifically, Peniche sounds AMAZING.

Where is the place that’s offering gear hire? Do they do transport too?

At this point I honestly don’t remember what I was thinking when voting on the poll :crazy_face:

In any case I replied yes on the invite for Mon Apr 25th :white_check_mark:

@antoviaque @braden would you like to bring your partners to the food tour as well? I’ll book as soon as you confirm.

@gabriel I would if he were here but he couldn’t make it. Did you mean to ask @fox perhaps?

If he did, I can say that Amber would definitely love to come :slight_smile:

I meant to ping you, but I didn’t know he couldn’t make it. All good.

Yes I’ve counted her in :slight_smile:

Um… maybe not this weekend? https://www.accuweather.com/en/pt/oeiras/274023/weather-warnings/274023

@giovannicimolin @Fox @jill @cassie @kaustav @Agrendalath @antoviaque @maxim

For those of you interested in going to Sintra this weekend, unfortunately I won’t be able to go as I need to isolate at my Airbnb. Also the weather is not looking great, so keep an eye on it tomorrow before making a final decision (there’s no need to book or reserve anything in advance).

Is there someone who is interested in taking over the coordination of the group from me?

Here’s the suggested itinerary that I worked out, derived from this guide.

Sintra Day Trip

Can either meet up for breakfast together or meet up after breakfast.

• Breakfast, bring warm clothes and rain gear as Sintra can be a bit colder than Lisbon
  • Share Ubers to go from Oieras to Sintra train station (25min)
  • Walk from the train station to the historic centre (follow brown signs which say “Centro Historico”; don’t listen to the people trying to sell you tours/taxis) (10 min)
  • Visit Palacio Nacional (45min)
  • Visit Quinta da Regaleira (90 min)
  • Lunch
  • Take bus 434 to Moorish Castle (45 min) (the 434 is the only tourist bus and it goes only in one direction in a loop so it’s pretty easy)
  • Walk to Palacio da Pena (10 min)
    • Visit the terraces and staterooms (1 hour)
    • Weather permitting, explore Pena park, and do the hike to Cruz Alta (1 hour)
  • Depending on the weather and your interest in hiking:
    • Take Bus 434 back to the train station, then Uber home or take the train into Lisbon.
    • Or, walk back to the Moorish castle bus stop, take Vila Sassetti hiking trail from there to Vila Sassetti and the city centre (45 min). Then Uber home.

I’m not likely to go, but since there is no need to book anything in advance, I’ll keep it on my mind for now.

I’m going to skip the trip to Sintra this weekend to try scuba diving in Cascais instead. But I don’t fly out until 1 May, so am hoping to head up there on Saturday 30 Apr instead. If anyone would like to join me, let me know?

Also, I want to hear about all the best spots, so I know what I shouldn’t miss! So post photos etc please :smile:

@jill I’d be interested in joining you on Saturday the 30th for the Sintra trip!

I’m not around before the conference but I’m in Lisbon till May 4th!

1 Like