Where are the gamers?

Hi there,

Any gamers right here? :joystick:
PC, consoles, indie games or AAA. What’s your favorite game? :slight_smile:

Personally, I mostly play on PS4 and Nintendo Switch. What are you currently playing? :grinning:

3 Likes

:raised_hand: I mostly game on PC though, Steam. These days I’m mostly playing Slay the Spire since it’s something I can fit in 15/20 minute breaks in my free time. I just started Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, which is decidedly harder to fit into 15/20 minute bursts, so I’ll probably end up never finishing it :frowning:

I have an XBox One S too, but that’s mostly for 4k Blu-Rays :stuck_out_tongue:
I think my favourite games would have to be the Dragon Age series, the second one in particular, and of course Slay the Spire. Also XCOM 2, and Defense Grid, and Thomas was Alone, and FTL, and Into the Breach and the Hexcells series, and KOTOR and… I’ll just shut up now.

2 Likes

I have been a gamer for nearly 15 years and have almost always used my PCs for it. I bought a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 earlier this year and now play games on those as well (but mostly the exclusives).

I love playing single-player games and do not like the online multiplayer games at all. Though I like the FPS and TPS games the most, I have played and enjoyed games from other genres as well. I have a very long backlog of unplayed games in my Steam library and I have been trying my best to reduce it as quickly as possible (completed ~30 games in the past 4 years, but that is still too slow :stuck_out_tongue:)

There are so many games that I have played and liked and here are a few honorable mentions in no particular order.

• The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. This was my first game in the trilogy and it was mindblowing. I finished the game (140+ hours played) before the last expansion (Blood and Wine) was released and I haven’t played it yet.
  • Hollow Knight - 140+ hours played, >100% completion but still a few endings left. Took so much time because I am not that good at execution in such unforgiving games.
  • Stardew Valley - 100+ hours. Bought this as a gift for my wife and got hooked in after I saw her playing and started to help her. A relaxing and enjoyable game for me.
  • The Batman Arkham tetralogy.
  • The Max Payne trilogy
  • The Matrix: Path of Neo
  • The OG Need for Speed: Most Wanted
  • Sports games - Cricket, Tennis, Football, Golf etc. Used to play FIFA career mode a lot till FIFA went overboard with FUT and ignored the career mode.
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Over the hedge
  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine
  • Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell Blacklist
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Dishonored. It was great to play through the game without a single kill and achieving the non-lethal endings in all the levels.
  • Portal and Portal 2.
  • Uncharted 2
  • The Last of Us
  • Overcooked and Overcooked 2. Having a lot of fun playing local co-op with my wife.

My Steam ID is lgp171188 in case anyone is interested.

I also like games :slight_smile: Nowadays mostly strategy and RPG games, usually on PC or PS4. I love Starcraft and wish I was better at it :slight_smile: Lately I’ve played “Life is strange” (interactive story) and Valkyria chronicles 4 (turn-by-turn war RPG) - both really good in their own genre.

1 Like

I play on consoles (Switch, PS4, PS2).

Currently I’m playing:

Read Dead Redemption 2 (so much to do. I often just wander on the map, essentially hiking, camping, hunting and fishing)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (I’m actually replaying all the canonical games one after the other)
Castlevania bundle on the Switch (and die a lot, the NES games are so hard!)

Lately I’ve completed:

Dark Souls 3 (and died a lot)
Hollow Knight (and died a lot) --> what a beautiful game <3
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (beautiful game but was disappointed by the lack of proper dungeons)

I like single player RPGs and mostly play on PC. I’m currently playing Jedi: Fallen Order and it’s great :) . Other favorite series of mine are Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Tomb Raider, Fallout, and Portal. I tend to go for months without gaming and then “binge” a game haha.

Oh, I love Stardew Valley too! It’s the game I’ve logged the most hours in, behind Skyrim. It is really a wonderful way to relax after a stressful day. The co-op mode is also really fun to play as a couple.

1 Like

@kshitij

These days I’m mostly playing Slay the Spire since it’s something I can fit in 15/20 minute breaks in my free time.

[…] FTL, and Into the Breach […]

I recently discovered Slay the Spire and it is insanely addictive, like “one more run” after the 10th try. :laughing:

FTL and Into the Breach are so nice games. I especially like theirs OST by Ben Prunty. I guess you are a rogue-like gamer. :grinning:

@anon46505572 Don’t Starve Together is so cool! Played a ton of hours with my gf. This game has a lovely visual style.

@guruprasad

I have been a gamer for nearly 15 years and have almost always used my PCs for it.

Yep me too, I bought console for the first time like 2 years ago. No regrets.
The Witcher 3 was definitely a huge slap on the face for me too.

Stardew Valley - 100+ hours. Bought this as a gift for my wife and got hooked in after I saw her playing and started to help her. A relaxing and enjoyable game for me.

One more day before going to sleep, I promise :pray:

Ori and the Blind Forest

I heard a lot of amazing feedback about this game, but it seems to be so sad :pensive:

The Last of Us

Beat it like one month ago, and it was insane. Such a masterpiece, the sound and character designs are incredible. Naughty Dog is now definitely in my top tier developing studio. I have done Uncharted 4 too, cannot recommend more.

@antoviaque

Lately I’ve played “Life is strange” (interactive story)

Really like it too! I thought I beat the game in like 3 days, cannot stop playing it. Never played the second title.

@gabriel

Read Dead Redemption 2 (so much to do. I often just wander on the map, essentially hiking, camping, hunting and fishing)

Finished it like 2 weeks ago! What an amazing game! Downside is that it need a big time investissement. “Ok let’s do this mission…”, 1 hour later, “Woaw I finally managed to get this alligator 3 stars skin! Where am I?”.

Metal Gear Solid 2 (I’m actually replaying all the canonical games one after the other)

Preparing for Death Stranding by Hideo Kojima? :slight_smile:
I have never played any MGS and I really want to dig into this saga.

Dark Souls 3 (and died a lot)
Hollow Knight (and died a lot) → what a beautiful game <3

Congrats! :clap:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (beautiful game but was disappointed by the lack of proper dungeons)

I really loved it. Such an amazing journey. :slight_smile:

@braden

Let’ build the OpenCraft’s farm! :ear_of_rice::broccoli:

I just finished Death Stranding on PS4 and what an amazing game. It is definitely not for everybody but woaw.

Switching his Switch on and hearing Pokemon intro music…

2 Likes

I guess I am? Didn’t see this coming. I’m not good at them, and don’t like most of them. I’m generally not one to like “tough” games. I was having that issue with Jedi Fallen Oder as well. It’s a bit hard for me, so I’m actually playing in “story mode” now, which is the lowest difficulty level :P

I guess I like puzzle/tactical challenge more than a twitch-based one. That’s also why I like Banner Saga, Civilization, XCOM2 and other turn-based tactical/strategy games.

I guess I am? Didn’t see this coming. I’m not good at them, and don’t like most of them.

I had Slay The Spire, FTL and Into the Breach in mind, which are roguelike games.

I was having that issue with Jedi Fallen Oder as well. It’s a bit hard for me, so I’m actually playing in “story mode” now, which is the lowest difficulty level […]

The older I am, the more I like easy and not “tough” games too. :sweat_smile:

Thinking about chill games, I have Samorost, Machinarium (Amanita Design games) in mind. And the last one I really like was “The Untitled Goose Game”, which was so much fun, walking around and bothering people as a goose was hilarious. :joy:

Machinarium is the only game I ever played from start to finish – it’s sooo beautiful <3

2 Likes

As much as I enjoy immersive games with massive campaigns that demands lots of involvement and tens/hundreds of hours of play, I find myself enjoying short/retro games more and more. The kind of games you can pick up and only play for a few minutes to take a mental break (or play for hours, I guess).

One cool roguelike game that I played recently and really enjoyed was Downwell. Not very involving, deliciously retro and seriously addictive!

Last year I played retro-style game Papers, Please for awhile. It’s quite unusual (you play the role of a border agent) and the USSR-ish setting is very nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It took me a while to get to this post, but I’m finally here.

I love gaming and currently I play mostly FPS and RPGs:

• Witcher 3
    • I already finished the main questline and started playing the DLCs
    • I just started the Blood and Wine DLC, and that’s an entirely new map and characters
  • Outer Worlds
    • I like space games :stuck_out_tongue:
    • Nice storyline with multiple endings (I’m aiming for the good one)
  • Overwatch (I play this with my girlfriend)
    • I’m waiting for OW2 to launch: less competitive stuff and more PvE and character stories
  • StarCraft
    • I’m so bad at this game that I gave up the competitive before even starting :stuck_out_tongue:
    • I like the story modes and the huge number of weird game modes from arcade
  • Cities Skylines
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild (on Wii U)

Here are some games that I’ve played before:

• Borderlands 2
  • Castle Crashers
  • Guacameele
  • Ibb & Obb (never finished this one, switched to playing FPS)
  • New Tomb Raider Games
  • TIS-100
  • Rayman Legends

You can find me on Steam here.

Let’s pick up something not competitive and play :slight_smile:

1 Like

@giovannicimolin

• Witcher 3
    • I already finished the main questline and started playing the DLCs
    • I just started the Blood and Wine DLC, and that’s an entirely new map and characters

Such an amazing game! Never played DLCs, but I definitely should. Are you hyped by the Netflix tv show coming this December 20th? I have mixed thoughts about it but I will definitely give it a try :slight_smile:

• Overwatch (I play this with my girlfriend)

Played a ton of hours with my gf too. Pro tip: always hide the in-game chat :joy:

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild (on Wii U)

What an awesome Link’s journey! Got all trials but still need to farm Korok seeds :stuck_out_tongue:
I am currently doing “Link’s awakening” on Switch, it is too much nostalgia.

@gabriel Papers, please is so cool!

@tikr

Machinarium is the only game I ever played from start to finish – it’s sooo beautiful <3

You should really give a try to other Amanita Design games if you liked Machinarium :)\

I am currently spending most of my free time on “Oxygen not Included” by Klei studio. It is a kind of survival, simulation management and building game with such a lovely art style. It is by the same studio as “Don’t Starve”.

1 Like

A bit late to the party, I haven’t been much of a gamer lately.

Right now you’ll probably be able to find me on Mario Kart Deluxe 8 and I plan on getting Smash Bros.

I’ve pivoted my gaming habits from mainly story-rich (action-)RPG, FPS and strategy PC games to multiplayer Switch games I can play with my kids.

My recommendations:

1. Zelda Breath of the Wild, the most beautiful action-RPG game I’ve ever played. (BotW 2 is coming)
  2. Mario Kart 8, the most fun multiplayer game.
  3. Bastion, Transistor and Pyre, really cool indie games from Supergiant games.
  4. A Story about my Uncle, an awesome 3D platformer.
  5. Majesty 1&2
  6. Plannetary Anihilation
  7. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War (along with oldies such as Warcraft 3, Command and Conquer 2: Red Alert, KKnD, Dune 2 etc.)
  8. Torchlight.
  9. Borderlands 2, 0, 1.
  10. Bioshock Infinite, 2, 1.
  11. Scribblenauts.
  12. X-COM games, the oldest first.
  13. The Bureau: XCOM declassified.
  14. Anomaly Korea series.
  15. Trine series.
  16. Metro series.
  17. Deus-Ex series.
  18. Diablo series (be careful with this, the equivalent of digital crack).
  19. Fallout series.
  20. Elder Scrolls Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, decreasing order of enjoyment.
  21. Portal 1&2.

I still have the Witcher 3 complete waiting for me to start playing, but the prospect of another 100 hour game is really daunting.

1 Like

I’m in a similar place, except that I’m around 5 to 20 hrs into abut 5 to 6 RPGs. And I am 40hrs into The Witcher 3 but it’s been years since I played it. So now I feel like I’d need to start over :-(

Knowing all this I obviously finished Jedi Fallen Order and then started KOTOR2 :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@toxinu Yep, if I find time I’ll definitely check what other games they are offering :slight_smile:

I really liked that game, but (and as mentioned earlier in this thread) the absence of actual dungeons really disappointed me. The puzzles in the temples were cool but not as satisfying as doing dungeon puzzles. And I miss the dungeon boss fights! Maybe that’s just me being nostalgic… Open world games are amazing, but I felt like this game would have needed a bit more linearity to keep the story well-knit. A lot of fans have complained about this, so maybe they’ll address this in the sequel :slight_smile:

Also, I just played the remake of Resident Evil 2 on the PS4. As an old fan of the franchise, holy smokes I had fun with this one. Playing this game brought back lots of great memories, and it’s a very good remake. I enjoyed the sharp graphics (the RE game engine is great) and very cool additions to the original game like new puzzles, new enemy behavior and redesigned locations. They redesigned the game but not too much, I think it’s a nice middle ground. And in this edition the Tyrant enemy (Mr. X - which looks so cool btw) pursues you relentlessly throughout the police station, which is pretty nerve-racking - for example you’re trying to solve a puzzle in a room and you hear his footsteps approaching (scary) and you know that soon he’s going to come through the door and punch you in the face! I really enjoyed playing this game but it literally gave me high blood pressure for a few days :laughing:

2 Likes

I must say I was really happy for the choice of an open-world game. I’ve played quite a few Zelda games and to be honest, the whole dungeon crawling linear routine started to bore me. It was really fun at the beginning but between Zelda and Metroid, it stopped being fun. For instance, I though Majora’s Mask was a breath of fresh air on the series and I had more interest in that game than Ocarina of Time.

With the BOTW, I’ve put so many hours that I’m ashamed to even look it up. Now my six year old started exploring the Great Plateau and I took an advisory role :slight_smile:

Oh, just found this answer written but not sent.

Oh, these are great! I’m playing co-op with my youngest and having a blast, and at least the first two are fun solo as well. By the way, Trine 4 is 60% OFF at US$12 until tomorrow on the Nintendo Switch e-shop, just got it.

1 Like

My main games have been Quake (not sure anyone would guess that from my github/sourceforge history :wink: ) and Kerbal Space Program, and I really like Horizon Zero Dawn. However, my biggest game is probably programming.itself. I’ve played Dark Souls a bit (many hours, but haven’t gotten very far), Hollow Knight (haven’t finished, but do have the option of the first ending).

Several other games, too, llike Portal 1/2, Invisible Ink, Trine (all three), Doom (1&2), Shadwen, and quite a few others.

I’ve made a start on Death Stranding, but haven’t gotten very far yet.

Ooh, I should look into that. I didn’t know there was a 4.