Where are the gamers?

I really loved Horizon Zero Dawn! Cannot wait more for the second one (love Guerrilla Games so much, what an amazing game engine they have built).

I’ve made a start on Death Stranding, but haven’t gotten very far yet.

This game is like you love or you hate it, and I freaking loved it, what a unique experience. :star_struck:

The main problem is the location of the PS/4 (not amenable to me spending a chunk of time playing).
Initially, the game seemed a bit… odd, but after an encounter with mules(?) and a close call with a tentacle thing, it got a bit more intersting.

1 Like

Death Stranding is even more meaningful to be played right now with all the pandemic and isolation stuff. I totally understand that the game can sounds very weird but damn, I already have goosebumps by just thinking about it. I guess I am this kind of Kojima fan boy :joy:

Even the walking session with the “Low Roar” band music was enjoyable to me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Right now, I don’t even have a PS4 since I was not able to bring it with me when moving to Japan, and the biggest issue for me will be to not being able to play “The Last of Us Part 2”… What a struggle.

Huzzah for The Holy Trinity. In this veign, I also spent a whole lotta hours on Duke 3D and Half-Life - though there’s a case for calling the latter a Quake mod. ;)

May I ask where “taniwha” comes from? It reminds me of a certain utterance by a certain alien in a certain early-90’s priince-of-persia-like.

“taniwha” is a Maori word for monster and is a river/sea dragon. I came across the word in a children’s book (The Taniwha’s Afternoon Snooze) while living in New Zealand the last time (1994-2000). Actually, I originally used it to name my first linux machine, then later my personal domain name, and then myself.
BTW, the “wh” is the old “wh”, so rather close to an “f” (the Japanese “f” is very close).

1 Like

I played Death Stranding and being a long time Kojima fan, boy-o-boy did I enjoy this game. The ending literally made me cry. This game is a work of art.

3 Likes

I played Death Stranding and being a long time Kojima fan, boy-o-boy did I enjoy this game. The ending literally made me cry. This game is a work of art.

Well next time we meet, we should talk about Death Stranding, then cry while drinking a beer. :beer:

3 Likes

@farhaan has gotten into playing games these days and asked for recommendations on the Mattermost #Gaming channel. I am posting here a list of games that I recommended. I will make this post a wiki so that everyone can add their recommendations

Guruprasad

FPS/TPS

• Max Payne trilogy (1 may not hold up well these days)
  • Wolfenstein series (the latest trilogy, Wolfenstein 2009 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which is legendary)
  • Uncharted series (Playstation)
  • Tomb Raider 2013 reboot series
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Bulletstorm - this is a quirky, but fun TPS.
  • Sniper Elite 4 (and if you can manage with the dated predecessors)
  • Hitman games - the older ones are dated but fun. Decent newer ones are Hitman: Absolution, Hitman 1, 2, and 3. Maximum fun is in not shooting anyone.
  • Splinter Cell series - the latest few games hold up well. Again, maximum fun is in not shooting anyone.
  • Sunset Overdrive.
  • Deus Ex games - Human Revolution and Mankind Divided in particular. Again, maximum fun in not shooting anyone.
  • Doom 2016, Doom Eternal.
  • Fallout series - Fallout NV in particular. More of an RPG.
  • Cyberpunk 2077, if you have the hardware that can run it well.
  • Portal and Portal 2 not a shooter though you have portal guns :stuck_out_tongue:
  • The Last of Us and The Last of Us 2 (Playstation)
  • Bioshock Trilogy
  • Control
  • Quantum Break
  • Metro trilogy
  • Alan Wake
  • Borderlands series
  • Half Life (some games are dated)
  • Prey
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Mass Effect Trilogy - there is a remastered version released recently. Plus there is also Mass Effect: Andromeda which has mixed reviews.
  • Crysis games - the legendary games of the “Can it run Crysis? Can it run Crysis 3” fame.
  • Far Cry series
  • GTA series, GTA V in particular
  • Just Cause 3
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain - a stealth game

All the other genres

• Witcher series - action RPG
  • Wolverine’s Revenge - action beat 'em up
  • Batman Arkham series - action adventure
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) - racing
  • Forza Horizon 4 - racing
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch, Wii, emulators) - action adventure
  • Super Mario Odyssey - platformer
  • Bastion - action RPG
  • Hades - roguelike action dungeon crawler
  • Overcooked series - get the ‘All you can eat edition’ which has both the games’ content - cooking simulation
  • Stardew Valley - simulation RPG
  • Hollow Knight - souls like metroidvania platformer
  • Cricket 19 (requires a controller) - sports
  • Ori and the blind forest, Ori and the will of the wisps - metroidvania platformer
  • Middle earth: Shadow of Mordor, Shadow of War - action adventure
  • Sleeping Dogs - action adventure
  • Devil May Cry series - 4 Special Edition and 5 in particular - hack and slash action adventure
  • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance - hack and slash action adventure
  • Bayonetta series - hack and slash action adventure
  • Factorio - construction and management simulation
  • Don’t Starve series - survival
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice - action adventure
  • Nier Automata - action RPG
  • Yakuza series
  • Dragon Age series - RPG
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun- Stealth-oriented real-time tactics
  • Outer Wilds - action adventure
  • The Talos Principle - puzzle
  • This War of Mine - war survival
  • Plants vs Zombies - tower defence
  • Kingdom Rush series - tower defence

Adolfo
Co-op games

• Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (Wii U, splitscreen): the other game that can get us fighting.
  • Mario Kart (any, splitscren): But we play mostly Double-Dash and 8.
  • A Way Out (PC, same/splitscreen): a bonafide interactive movie, with a great story.
  • Speedrunners (PC, same/splitscreen): distilled cartoon superhero racer fun. Obligatory party game.
  • Castle Crashers (PC, samescreen): up to 4 players, if you have a big couch. Good old Golden Axe fun.
  • Serious Sam 3 BFE (PC, splitscreen): old-style brainless FPS fun.
  • Left 4 Dead (2+ PCs): obligatory online coop zombie shooter from Valve where you actually have to cooperate, or die.
  • Dead by Daylight (2+ PCs): unconventional asymmetric online coop + PvP horror survival. Hard and scary at first, easy and relaxing later.
  • The Forest (2+ PCs): non-voxel, co-op Minecraft with photo-realistic cannibals. Scary but fun.
  • Phasmophobia (2+ PCs): had me honest-to-god screaming for my life (in VR), and she cried (on a monitor).

Braden

• Return of the Obra Dinn

Gabriel

• Papers, Please

Giovanni

• It takes two
  • Guacameele
  • Overcooked
  • Castle crashers
3 Likes

Thanks a bunch @guruprasad :slight_smile:

Played the first one. Bullet-time perfection, only recently surpassed by Superhot VR.

I really enjoyed the first one, as it is in many aspects a remake of Starflight, a game I spent many hours on as a teen. Unfortunately, though, those very aspects (exploration, scavenging, etc) were considered “boring” and removed from later entries. (Yes, I know: we have No Man’s Sky for that, now. And it’s 60% off on Steam’s summer sale. :slight_smile:)

The first one is a true, addictive, classic. Beware.

I also see Witcher in the list. Tried the first one recently and found the controls to be too dated, but folks tell me the third is a masterpiece. On my list.

Why no Elder Scrolls, though? You were probably too young for Daggerfall - still the largest (and buggiest) RPG ever made - but Morrowind is legendary. It’s arguably the best RPG of all time, and if you have the time and inclination to mod it, the dated graphics will be less of a hurdle. (And there’s an open source reimplementation of the engine that works with the original assets, and runs on Linux: OpenMW.)

(Skyrim? It’s good. But vanilla is too dumbed-down. You have to mod it into greatness - but you’ll end up spending more time modding than playing. :stuck_out_tongue:)

The graphics are indeed dated, and the mechanics somewhat so, but the original Half-Life is still a great game. An alternative is to give Black Mesa a shot: it is a more up-to-date remake.

Half-life 2 needs no remake and can be experienced as-is. To this day I have not seen a better implementation of the gravity gun concept - except maybe the gravity gloves in Half-Life: Alyx.

(Btw, @guruprasad, did you manage to solve your VR issues? I recently ran into the USB thing myself with the Index and an X570 board, but a BIOS and driver update helped.)

Ah yes, Tomb Raider 10. Had about as much fun with that one as the original one (which I replayed in its entirety just the other day via its great 2007 remake, Tomb Raider: Anniversary). But like before, the sequels lost their way, and thus, my interest. Just recently uninstalled Rise of the Tomb Raider. Too many quick-time events, too little fun.

Fuck yeah. Nothing better for the hoarder-shooter fix. 3 is the best: the formula was honed to perfection.

I have a controversial opinion on this one. To me, it’s proof that graphics don’t matter. It’s so faithful to the original mechanics of Doom and Doom 2 that it’s boring. IMNSHO vanilla shooters were all spoiled by either Half-life, Borderlands, or Battlefield 1942: the first married shooting to a story, the second feeds the hoard (pun intended), and the third… if I’m not getting money or a story, then let me shoot actual humans - or run them over with a jeep. :laughing:

Had to stop playing in fear of losing my job, my girlfriend, and my life. Like Transport Tycoon, Simcity 2000, and Civilization, just too freaking addictive.

One of the only two games in existence that can start a fight between me and the S.O. Highly recommended.

And with that, let me segway into coop recommendations (which @giovannicimolin might like, since he’s getting married :wink:):

• Mario Tennis Ultra Smash (Wii U, splitscreen): the other game that can get us fighting.
  • Mario Kart (any, splitscren): But we play mostly Double-Dash and 8.
  • A Way Out (PC, same/splitscreen): a bonafide interactive movie, with a great story.
  • Speedrunners (PC, same/splitscreen): distilled cartoon superhero racer fun. Obligatory party game.
  • Castle Crashers (PC, samescreen): up to 4 players, if you have a big couch. Good old Golden Axe fun.
  • Serious Sam 3 BFE (PC, splitscreen): old-style brainless FPS fun.
  • Left 4 Dead (2+ PCs): obligatory online coop zombie shooter from Valve where you actually have to cooperate, or die.
  • Dead by Daylight (2+ PCs): unconventional asymmetric online coop + PvP horror survival. Hard and scary at first, easy and relaxing later.
  • The Forest (2+ PCs): non-voxel, co-op Minecraft with photo-realistic cannibals. Scary but fun.
  • Phasmophobia (2+ PCs): had me honest-to-god screaming for my life (in VR), and she cried (on a monitor).

I’ll probably come back and add more later.

1 Like

I solved it by using an external, powered USB hub, as the latest BIOS updates didn’t help at that time (first week of May 2021). Haven’t tried any newer updates since then. Maybe I should :slight_smile:

Been there, done that. :stuck_out_tongue: We are currently in our 4th playthrough (playing the “All you can eat!” edition this time), aiming to get 3 stars in all the levels in both the games and their DLCs.

I will take the liberty of adding all your recommendations in my post (which is an editable wiki) under you name. :slight_smile:

Please do so in the wiki post under the section with your name that I have created. :slight_smile:

It takes two (PC, same/splitscreen): a bonafide interactive movie, with a great story.

I know there’s been an update to AGESA (I think 1.2.0.3) more recently than that, but it might not be available for your motherboard (it wasn’t for mine). Worth a look.

Ah, of course - I see it’s a wiki now. Will do so from now on. :+1:

Yup. :) From the same studio as A Way Out. Also very good (and quite dark, contrary to what the cartoony look might lead one to believe), but so far we preferred the latter.

If anyone is looking for a good game to play with your S.O., I highly recommend Return of the Obra Dinn. Technically it’s a one-player game but I think it’s best played with two people, because it’s more fun that way and some of the puzzles are easier to figure out with two heads.

Don’t be fooled by the “1-bit” graphics that look dated - once you figure out what’s going on, it’s an amazing experience. You play as an insurance investigator sent to figure out what happened on a ship, and your job is to solve the mystery by determining the name, job, and manner of death for each person on the ship. It’s exactly the type of puzzle game I love: where the puzzles actually make sense and you have to use your reasoning and common sense to figure them out. (Not the usual “puzzle game” crap where you have to solve some kind of geometric puzzle that anyone could solve in order to open the secret vault.)

We had a great time playing it and just wish we could erase our memories and experience it again.

Haha, yep. It’s amazing but I eventually realized it was making me more stressed than an actual job! Time to quit at that point.

2 Likes

I need to play this game! I also loved Papers, Please from the same developer, where you play a border agent in a fictional Communist country.

1 Like

Heard many good things about it, indeed. It has been on my wishlist for a while, but I didn’t realize it would be good to play coop. Sold. 25% off until Thursday on Steam.

1 Like

I love story-driven games. Here’s a short list of good ones I’ve played recently.

Death Stranding

I played Death Stranding last year, and what fun I had. I binged the whole game within a week. The story is unusual, and very moving — I literally cried during the ending. The gameplay is awesome, despite the fact that the game’s main task is to hmm, deliver parcels. Ah, and also reconnect humanity by building a post-apocalyptic communication network. I’ll definitely buy the Director’s Cut for PS5, and play it again. Highly recommended if you like a deep, emotional story.

The Last Of Us

In the dead of winter this year, a bit depressed by Covid and sick of the cold weather, I played The Last Of Us (PS4 version) for the first time, and ended up binging the whole game within 3-4 days. I wasn’t sure about the mechanics at first, but the story is what got me hooked. I loved how morally ambiguous the characters are (especially Sam), and now I understand why this game was so popular. I bought the sequel, but haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ll play it in a few months, when the weathers get cold and depressing again.

Control

Around the end of last year, I also played what I consider to be easily one of the best games I’ve ever played: Control. At first, I just watched a few reviews and wasn’t sure if I’d like it. But holy cow, this game ticked all my boxes.

• Paranormal activity, regulated and concealed by an obscure government agency? check.
  • Travelling between dimensions and consciousness planes? check.
  • Discussing the ins and outs of governmental bureaucracy in a game? check.
  • Permanent sense of dread? check.
  • Insanely beautiful design and attention to detail? check.
  • Retro tech fetish? check.
  • Oppressive Brutalist architecture? check.
  • Traversing an ever-shifting, psychedelic maze with Finnish metal music in the background? check.
  • Breaking apart a wall with telekinesis, and violently throwing a chunk of wall at a paranormally -possessed human? You bet.

In my opinion, this game is a chef-d’oeuvre and there’s no other game like it.

I could understand why this particular universe might not appeal to some, but this is a must-play. I could write a novel about how much I loved this game. Playing this was like watching a great sci-fi/action series.

Was on my wishlist, bought it yesterday at a good discount on the Steam sale. Very glad to hear you liked it so much. :slight_smile:

Also on my list, but I’ll have to wait for the PC port - either official or emulator. It’s gonna take 10 years, but it sure sounds like it’ll be worth the wait. :laughing:

Thanks for the recommendation! I just got a PS5 so I’ll check out the Director’s Cut in September. Definitely like story-driven games.

And re Control: parts of the game were kind of boring for me, but the sequence in the middle of the game where you fight through a maze while “Take Control” by the Old Guards of Asgard plays? That was so intense and felt so awesome. Possibly my favorite few minutes of gaming ever.

Thanks for the suggestions! :smiley:
I really loved playing these coop games:

• It takes two
  • Guacameele
  • Overcooked
  • Castle crashers

Currently I’m playing the Tomb Raider series, but I want to play coop games again soon, so I’ll check some of the suggestions above in the next few days.

1 Like